Chapter 57 - The two men she loves

"Hi, babe," Cain said, smiling at Jane as she walked to him. He was standing by the car while Alek smoked a cigarette next to him.

"Hi, babe," Jane replied, kissing him on the lips.

"Hey," Alek said to Jane as she walked to kiss him on the lips too.

"Hi, Xander," Jane greeted him too. "How was your day?"

"All good," Cain replied, taking her hand. "You?"

"Good too," Jane said with a small smile. She looked a bit shy, probably wondering if he was still angry about their fight from this morning, he thought.

"Missed you," Cain whispered in her ear, making her smile. He did not want to be angry with her, and he really did not want her to think he was angry.

"Let's go home," Alek said, as he walked to the trash to throw his cigarette.

"He's hangry," Cain laughed.

"I'm hungry too," Jane smiled.

"I'm hungry for you," Cain said, kissing her on the cheek.

Jane sat in the car nestled between the two of them. "Should we order for dinner or should I cook something?"

"No need to cook, babe, we can order," Cain replied. "Anything you'd like?"

"Sushi," Jane and Alek replied at the same time, and all three laughed.

"Sushi it is," Cain added.

Back in the penthouse, they went through the menu of their favourite sushi place and ordered a tone of food, Alek was super hungry apparently.

"It will be here in forty minutes. Shall we get changed and meet back here in a while?" Cain offered.

"See you in a bit," Alek said and walked out of the kitchen.

Cain and Jane walked upstairs to their bedroom. "We need to talk," Cain said.

"What is it?" Jane asked, looking worried.

"Sit with me," Cain replied, sitting on their bed. "As I said this morning, I'm leaving tomorrow morning and I will be back on Monday evening. This weekend is the tenth anniversary of Xander's parents' death. Usually, he goes to Scotland to visit their grave, but this year he's saying he wants to stay in Madrid. Rick apparently has left for work too, and I can't change the dates for my trip, so I can't be here for him either. Xander refuses to come with me, so I'm going to ask you to keep an eye on him."

"Oh, alright," Jane whispered.

"It should be OK," Cain continued. "In the last three years, since he's been sober, it's been OK. I mean, he hasn't tried to commit suicide or anything, but it would be better if he were not left alone."

"I'll stay with him. I'll be here anyway."

"Thanks, babe. Sorry to ask you this, especially after I promised to give you some time alone to rest and stuff, but I really can't think of anyone else I trust more to look after him."

"Thanks, babe. It means a lot that you'd ask. Don't worry, if I suspect anything, I'll call you and you can come right back or I can put him on a plane and we can come to you, OK?"

"You are the absolute best fiancée in the world! Can't wait to have you as my wife," Cain said, feeling so much love and relief from her presence. He truly trusted her, even with the life of his own brother. He moved her closer to him and hugged her for a long time. "I'm going to stay with him for a while after dinner, just talk and play a few games. You can come upstairs and get some rest, OK?"