Chapter 16 - Then why are you crying?

It took Jane a while to fall asleep and once she did, it was a restless sleep. At 5am, she woke up and could not stay in bed any longer. She put on a nightgown over her naked body and walked out of the bedroom. She needed something to drink and intended to go directly to the kitchen when she noticed Alek was sleeping in one of the living room couches. He was alone, her purse on his lap, his head lay back on the couch. He did not look comfortable, his brows tight as if he were having a nightmare.

Well, maybe Layla had not satisfied him, she thought bitterly. She did not go to him, even though she had meant to pick up her purse. She went to the kitchen instead, being as silent as possible, and pored herself a glass of cold milk.

The doors opened and Alek walked in, just as Jane was finishing her glass of milk. "Morning," he said, putting her purse on top of the kitchen counter.

"Morning," she replied, putting the milk back in the fridge, picking up her purse and walking past him to the double doors. Of course, he would not let her, putting his body in her way.

"Let's talk," Alek said.

"Nothing to talk about," Jane replied, looking at his chest, unable to meet his eyes. He was barefoot, still wearing his grey suit pants from the night before, his black shirt slightly open revealing his soft bare chest.

"Jane, please," Alek said, putting his hands up toward her.

"Don't you touch me," she said angrily, stepping back.

"Stop this nonsense and listen to me for a fucking second," he said, as he put his hands down again.

"I don't want to listen to your excuses! I had enough of them the past few days."

"Oh really? Off you go then and why don't you fuck your precious fiancé again," he said, unable to stop his anger.

"What a good idea," Jane replied, looking up at him.

"I shouldn't have said that, I'm sorry! Please just let me explain, Layla and I..."

"Oh, so there is a Layla and you, and I thought you said it was a work dinner."

"It was a work dinner! I can't help how she feels about me."

"Yes, because you're so perfect, everyone just falls at your feet."

"I don't care about everyone; I just care about you," Alek said, stepping closer to Jane.

"That's the thing Alek, I don't believe you," Jane replied, and before he could say anything else, she ran out of the kitchen and back to her room.

Jane sat on one of the two armchairs by the windows, next to a blissfully asleep Cain. She could not get back into bed with him, not while she was angry with Alek. The room was in complete darkness, the shutters still down, but she did not bother to turn the lights on. She desperately needed some alone time to quiet down her feelings. They all had said that it was not a date, even Cain and Layla, but still it felt like a date, so why did he go if he was not interested? She found it hard to believe that the Alek she knew would lead on both her and Layla, but hey, the Alek she knew would not have let her suffer over him for a decade. He had been having sex with Layla for years, so who's to say that he did not love Layla, with her sensual body and exotic features? He was probably just playing along with Jane, just for fun. And she should throw away her perfectly content life with Cain for a guy who changed his mind every other day? That was not going to happen. She was putting an end to this right now and be done with her feelings. In time, her love for him would fade and her love for Cain was more than enough to keep her happy for the rest of her days.

Her phone buzzed in her purse and finally she looked at it, worried it might be something urgent from HG. There were several not urgent emails as well as several messages from Alek. She tried to delete them, but apparently, she had to put in her password and go through them in order to delete them. He had sent her two messages last night and one just now. She was about to delete them, but she stopped and read them instead. She could always delete them later.