Chapter 2 - Tortilla de patatas with a twist

At 5pm, Jane walked to Luna's office. They had both spent the rest of their day catching up on work. Unless there were unexpected issues, she would not have to work tomorrow and enjoy her Sunday lunch with Cain and her parents.

"Are you almost done?" Jane asked Luna as she stopped by her office. "I'm leaving already, unless you need me?" Luna's office was a bit smaller than Jane's, but it had bigger windows with lots of sunshine. It had the same cream walls and a big red couch. Of course, she had to have something red in her office!

"Go home! Get some rest before Cain gets back; I'm leaving soon anyway. Will and I are going out for dinner and I need to rest a bit before that." Will was Luna's boyfriend. Cain had introduced them, as Will and Cain have been friends forever. Their first anniversary was due soon, Jane remembered with a smile. Maybe he was going to propose too, that way, they could plan their weddings together. How great would that be?

"Sounds good! I'm actually going directly to the penthouse to cook for Cain and hopefully I can pick him up at the airport too."

"That's a good plan," Luna replied, walking around her desk to give Jane a goodbye kiss. "See you tomorrow night!"

"Game night," Jane said with a smile. Every Sunday evening, if the four of them were in Madrid and had no prior or work-related engagement, they would get together and have a game night. It usually ended up being once a month, as both Cain and Will travelled a lot for work, which was not too inconvenient either, because then the girls could go out for drinks instead. "See you tomorrow. Enjoy your evening!"

"You too!"

Jane took the Metro to Cain's apartment, their apartment, she corrected herself. It was quite a long ride, but she did not mind it as it gave her the time to think about her day. It had been a wonderful day indeed. She was so relieved for Ángela; her parents had stayed several hours with her and baby Lola, so it bode well for them. Then her mind went back to that moment at the bar, when she had seen the very tall, dark-haired man. She still felt a strange tingling, as if her mind were trying to tell her something, but she just was not getting the message. Suddenly, she looked around, paranoid that someone was watching her. It had been like that all day and she did not know why. She could not see anyone looking at her, at least no one she knew, so she shrugged it off.

Despite her beautiful dream that morning, she had not slept much, she had been too worried about the meeting. Anyway, now it was all done, and she could concentrate on her evening with Cain. She was going to cook first and then take a shower or even better, a bath. Hopefully, she would finish in time to pick up Cain at the airport.

With her thoughts thus engaged, she arrived at the penthouse's entrance and walked to the private elevators that would take her upstairs to her new home. What she did not notice is the very tall, dark-haired man following her closely and watching her get inside the luxury apartment building.

Jane had put her time to good use. In less than an hour, the dinner for two, more like for five, as Cain loved to eat, was finished and she was putting everything away when she heard the elevator doors bing, announcing that someone had just arrived. She looked at the clock and smiled, maybe Cain's jet had landed earlier, and he was surprising her. She cleaned her hands quickly, took off her apron and walked through the living room towards the elevator. She was still wearing her blue dress from work, though no heals as she liked to be barefoot in the house.

Her feet started toward the elevator doors. Her longing to see her fiancé was too strong to idly wait by the kitchen counter ‒ his tall, dark figure, his muscled arms that could wrap her in a strong bear hug ‒. As soon as she passed the living room and turned the corner to the big hallway facing the elevator, she stopped, her feet freezing in place making her almost fall on her face.