Chapter 42 - Latin music

"They liked you," Alek said to Jane as they were in the taxi going to the pub.

"They're really good people and the food was delicious. Thanks for taking me there to celebrate my birthday together. It was perfect!"

"You're welcome, L.J.," he said with a big smile. "It's the least I could do to make up for not being there."

"It really was perfect! You were the only thing missing from my birthday, and now we got to celebrate it together, just the two of us. That's even better," she said and kissed him on the lips.

"I'm glad you had fun, L.J.," he smiled at her. "But the night is not over yet. About the pub, I know a lot of people there, most of the band and even the DJ, so I requested a few songs I think you might like."

"Really?"

"Yeah, just songs I thought I'd love to dance with you over the years."

"Can't wait," she exclaimed with a big smile. "Who knew you were such a romantic?"

"Whatever," he said, bumping his shoulder against hers. "Another thing, as you heard before, Cain has invited Layla tonight, so I called Rick earlier and asked him to join us, so he can dance with her and I can dance with you."

"Good distraction manoeuvre," she laughed.

"And Rick knows about us..."

"What?" she exclaimed frightened, pulling back from him.

"Yeah, he's my best friend, he figured it out as soon as he saw us talking at the pool party. So, I had to tell him. I hope you don't mind. He won't say anything to Cain, don't worry about that."

"OK," Jane whispered after a moment. "I'm glad you have someone to talk to."

He looked at her surprised. "You are incredible, L.J.! Anyone else would be mad, but here you are thinking about me."

"Of course. I can talk to Luna, so if you trust Rick, then it's good you can talk to him about all this."

"Thanks, L.J.. You can talk to me too, you know."

"I know. Thanks, Alek," she said, putting her head on his shoulder. "I had no idea Rick was your best friend."

"Yeah, he's cool. You didn't meet him back then because he had just moved to NYC with his parents, but we never lost touch. I've put him through hell over the years, but he's always been there for me, so yeah..."

"I didn't get the chance to talk to him much at the party, but he doesn't really look like a reliable guy to be honest, but you know him better."

"You just saw his façade, don't fall for it. He is a player, just like me, but underneath it all, he's very loyal and a good friend. You just need to see him in private when he's not surrounded by meaningless girls, or when he's with his mother, now that's pure love and devotion," Alek smiled.

"I'll do that."

"Thanks. I would like you to get along with him. Don't worry though, he loved you! That's why he got Cain drunk on your birthday party last Saturday, so we could have some alone time."

"That was nice of him," Jane laughed.

"He's a good buddy. We're here," Alek said, getting out his wallet to pay the taxi.

Jane got out first and kept the door open for him.

"I'm supposed to do this for you, you know?" Alek said, motioning to the door.

"Don't be such a guy," she teased him.

"Do you mind if I smoke a cigarette before we go in?"

"No problem," she said. She wanted to add that smoking was a bad habit and that he should quit, but considering all the other addictions he had quit, he deserved a pass, at least for now.