Chapter 52 - An important meeting

Luna and Jane looked at each other. "We got this," Jane said confidently.

"We do," Luna replied, squeezing her hand for a moment before they walked out the main door to greet them.

Alek walked out of the car first, looking dashing in his grey coat, grey suit and black shirt and tie. Laura was next. She was a brunette, tall and elegant, she looked Spanish. Charles walked out last, brown hair, pail looking, definitely not Spanish. The three of them walked together, Alek in the middle, each holding a briefcase.

Jane and Luna greeted them by the main door, "Good morning," Jane said with a polite smile, looking at the three of them, avoiding Alek's eyes, too timid to look at him.

"Morning, Jane! Morning, Luna!" Alek said casually, shaking their hands. "Allow me to introduce Laura and Charles."

They all shook hands. "Shall we go in?" Luna said to them all, as Luis promptly opened the door for them.

"This is the reception area, and since it's your first visit, we kindly ask you to register before you get in. It's a safety measure, I hope you don't mind," Jane explained.

"Of course," said Charles and he walked to Melisa to get started on the paperwork.

"Everyone has to register before getting in?" Laura asked.

"Yes, if you haven't been here before, otherwise you just sign in and out. Since the girls who stay here are mostly minors, we need to make sure we know who goes in and out," Jane explained.

"That's very good," Laura said, seeming satisfied with the safety measures. She followed Charles and got registered too. Alek was last, as he only needed to sign in.

The paperwork finally done; they were allowed inside. "This is the common area," Luna said. "We'll take you on a tour later, for now we'll go to the meeting room, if that's alright."

"Of course," Charles said, smiling politely. He had a beautiful Scottish accent, Jane thought with a smile as she was Scottish herself on her mom's side.

Jane opened the door of the meeting room and let them all walk inside. Alek was the last one and gave her a wink as he went through the door.

"It smells delicious," Laura said, as she took a sit around the table.

"Thanks," Luna replied. "It's the cookies, please help yourselves. One of the therapists loves to bake cookies and she usually does it with the girls who stay here."

"Cooking therapy... How ingenious," Laura said, and as she took a bite of the cookie, she seemed to approve of it. "It really is delicious!"

"Thanks," Jane smiled. "Would you like anything to drink? Coffee? Tea?"

"A coffee for me, please," Alek said, smiling at Jane.

Luna served the coffees for Alek and Laura, and Jane prepared a cup of tea for Charles. "We only have plain coffee, sorry about that. An espresso machine is not in the budget," Luna laughed.

"We're here to change that," Laura added, smiling back. "At least it's a good coffee," she said, after taking a sip and Alek agreed with her. It seemed like he had decided to say as little as possible, and let Laura and Charles do the talking, probably wanting to refrain from influencing their decision.

"I'm a bit of a coffee junky, so it has to be good," Luna replied, and they all laughed.

Jane filled a glass of water for herself and sat between Luna and Charles. Alek was sitting between Charles and Laura.

"You don't drink coffee, Jane?" Laura asked, she seemed quite easy to talk, and she noticed everything.

"Despite my Scottish mother and Spanish father, I don't like neither coffee nor tea." Jane saw Alek smile at her, probably thinking well played by bringing up her heritage and thus quickly forming a connection to both Laura and Charles.