Chapter 12 - A day at the office

Jane walked to her office, taking the time to talk to everyone she crossed on her way. She even stopped at Luna's office to say hello, but she kept it brief and did not tell her that she had spent the night with Alek. She did not want to get into another fight with her best friend. She fired up her computer and made sure she still had almost an hour before her first appointment, she sent a message to Cain to say good morning and then, after a long sigh, she called her parents.

"¡Hola mamá, hola papá!" Hello mom, hello dad!

"¡Hola hija! Qué bien que nos llames, tu madre me estaba volviendo loco," said Alberto. Hello daughter! So good you called us, your mom was driving me crazy.

"¡Ay, por Dios, Alberto!" Skye exclaimed. Oh, my God, Alberto!

"Siento no haber llamado ayer, estaba muy liada," Jane lied. Sorry I didn't call yesterday; I was very busy.

"No pasa nada, hija," her mother said, trying to be as nice as possible. It's OK, daughter. It seemed like she had had enough time to cool down, Jane thought.

"Everything OK at work... at home?" Skye asked hesitantly.

"All good," Jane replied, not wanting to go into details. "I just wanted to thank you for keeping Alek secret from Cain."

"You can always count on us," her dad replied. I can always count on you dad, Jane thought.

"I'm sorry if I was rude, Jane," her mother said, and she sounded sincere.

"You were very rude to Alek," Alberto replied before Jane could.

"Oh you! What was I supposed to do? Welcome him home? After all that he has done to our daughter?" Skye all but screamed at her husband.

"Yes, like I did! He was just a boy! A boy who had lost everything. You can't blame him for how he reacted. Not now that he's trying to do the right thing!"

"Guys," Jane tried to interject.

"Now he's trying? Now that Jane is happily engaged to Cain?" Skye retorted.

"Guys..." Jane tried again. She hated when her parents argued over her. She felt seventeen and pregnant again, or worst eighteen and just having gone through weeks of coma and a miscarriage.

"It's not for you to decide who she loves! She has to find out who she loves, it doesn't matter if she's engaged to Cain," Alberto continued.

"How can you say that?" her mother yelled.

Jane spoke loudly to the phone one final time before she hung up on them, "Will you two stop already or I will hang up." It worked! Now she could only hear their heavy breathing, but no more talking about her as if she were not on the phone with them. "Mom, I understand why you hate Alek, but..."

"See! I knew you would," Skye said happily.

"Let her speak," Alberto interrupted his wife.

"I don't hate him, mom. I know I should, but I can't! I never stopped loving him. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I know I don't hate him," Jane said, her eyes welling up. She put her head up, trying to contain her tears; she did not want to start crying at work.

"Oh Jane..." Skye whispered.

"It's OK, hija, you do what you have to, and we will keep your secret for as long as you need," Alberto continued.

"¡Gracias papá!" Jane replied, feeling a tiny bit better already. Thanks dad!

"You do what you have to do, as you've always done. But if my opinion means anything, I think you should stay with Cain," Skye said, before Alberto interrupted her.