The Ring goes south

We walked over mountains, past ancient ruins, and over hills. I didn't really say much. No one really said much, accept for Pippin complaining that he's hungry every 10 minutes, and Gimli going on about his cousin in the mines of Moria.

We had just climbed up another mountain.

"Oh my gosh, we've been walking for hours, I'm starving!" Pippin said, for like the 3rd time that hour.

"Oh shush Pippin! We're going to stop soon!" Merry said. "I hope."

"Maisy-Rose!" Gandalf called me over to him, and I ran past everyone and to the front.

"Yes Gandalf?" He gestured to Frodo.

"How are you doing?" Frodo asked.

"Oh, I'm alright Frodo. You don't need to worry about me. If anything we should all be worried about you."

"Alright, it's just you've been very quiet, it's unlike you." He chuckled.

"I know. I find it strange too. Maybe it's the lack of sleep we get now." I replied with a shrug.

Later on we stopped, and we found a place on top of a mountain, big rocks and bushes were scattered everywhere. It seemed like an okay place to rest for a bit.

I was sat on a rock next to Frodo and Sam, watching Boromir trying to practice sword fighting with Merry and Pippin. Sam was cooking us all some sausages and stuff.

"We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains." Gandalf said. "And there are road turns east to Mordor."

I finished eating and hopped down off the big rock and went to my bag. I pulled out my notebook and pencil. Yes, I had packed that too. I found a rock to sit on, a little bit away from everybody else. I liked drawing, it helped me relax and it was a way to spend my time whilst Gandalf and the others were deciding which way to go next.

"Good, very good." Boromir continued to practice with Pippin.

"Move your feet!" Aragorn called out.

"You look good Pippin." Merry said.

"Thanks!"

Merry join the practice, and I watched them, smiling.

Gimli was sitting behind us on the rocks, near Gandalf, whilst Legolas stood keeping watch.

"If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note that they're not, I'd say that we were taking the long way round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome." Gimli stated.

Gandalf looked very unsure. "No Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice."

I looked up and noticed something in the sky, something dark, but I didn't take any notice of it at first, and my attention was drawn back to Merry and Pippin when I heard a loud yelp.

"ARGH!" Pippin yelped.

"Sorry!" Boromir apologised.

Pippin kicked Boromir in the leg. I put my hand on my mouth to stop myself from laughing.

"Get him!" Merry yelled and threw himself at Boromir.

Merry and Pippin wrestled Boromir to the ground and jumped on him. I looked at Aragorn who looked very amused.

"For the Shire! Hold him, hold him down Merry!" Pippin yelled.

Boromir was laughing too.

Aragorn got up and took ahold of Merry and Pippin who were going wild. "Gentlemen! That's enough!"

Merry and Pippin grabbed Aragorn's legs and threw him backwards and he fell to the ground.

"You've got my arm... argh! You've got my arm!" Pippin whined.

I giggled and looked up at the sky again, noticing the dark things getting closer. I stood up. Sam stood up also.

"What is that?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just a whisp of cloud." Gimli said.

Boromir looked up, pausing from the scuffle. "It's moving fast... against the wind..."

"Crebain! From Dudland!" Legolas shouted.

"Hide!" Aragorn bellowed and I jumped down from the rock and looked around for somewhere to hide.

"Hurry!"

"Frodo! Take cover!"

Everyone ran around, putting out the fire and hiding things.

I dropped what was I my hands. I suddenly felt like I couldn't move. I noticed everyone else was gone.

"Maisy!"

Suddenly, someone grabbed me and pulled me to the floor with them, and I ended up being inside a bush with Merry and Pippin. It was Merry who had pulled me down.

I watched in fear as a big flock of black crows flew over us. They circled around us, and then flew off. I was in a bit of a shock.

"I think they're gone now. It's okay." Merry said after a moment. I rolled out of the bush, sat up and looked at Merry in shock. "Erm- thanks."

Everyone soon emerged from their hiding places.

"Spies of Saruman. The passage south is being watched." Gandalf said, and we all looked up at the big, snowy mountains. "We must take the pass of Caradhras." I gulped at how cold it looked up there.