The Passing Of The Elves

We set up a small camp by a large tree in a small woodland. Frodo was sat in between two large branched in the tree, I sat on the ground, leaning on the tree trunk, and also watching Sam cook us some food. I had my notebook and pencil with me, too.

"Hey, Frodo?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"Do you think the others will be okay? I mean, we never got to say goodbye."

"I'm sure they're fine and safe in the Shire."

Frodo suddenly noticed something. "Look!"

I looked up in the direction Frodo and Sam were looking, and I bright light came from the trees opposite us. We crawled up a small hill and peeked our heads over a fa.led tree trunk.

"Wood Elves!" Frodo said excitedly.

A group of wood Elves walked through the path of the forest, all dressed in bright white robes or dresses. Some were on bright white horses.

"They're going to the harbour beyond the white towers to The Grey Havens." Frodo explained quietly.

"They're leaving Middle Earth." Sam added.

"Never to return." I also added.

"I don't know why... it makes me sad." Sam said and shrugged.

After we got back and ate our small dinner, Sam was finding it hard to settle down and sleep.

"Everywhere I lie there's a dirty great root sticking into my back!" He complained.

I on the other hand, had made myself quite comfortable by the tree on a patch of leaves and my thin blanket. I think Frodo was doing alright too.

"Sam, you can have my spot if you really want." I offered.

"Oh, no. That's quite alright Miss Maisy." He said and rolled over again.

I shrugged and leaned my head against a thick tree root and closed my eyes.

"Just shut your eyes and imagine your back in your own bed, with a soft mattress and a lovely feather pillow." Frodo's voice soon lulled me to sleep.

After I fell asleep, Sam was still struggling to get even the tiniest bit comfortable.

"It's not working Mr Frodo. Oh! I'm never going to be able to sleep out here."

"Me neither Sam." Frodo said and smiled.