Into the wild

That morning, we had breakfast and left early. We didn't know where we were going, but all we could do was trust Strider. We followed him out of Bree. It was late in the morning, and we were all walking up a hill.

"Where are you taking us?" Pippin asked, tiredly.

"Into the wild." Strider replied, he was walking way ahead of us.

Merry walked up to Me and Frodo.

"How do we know this Strider is a friend of Gandalf?" He asked.

"I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer, but feel fouler." Frodo said.

"He's foul enough." Merry said, and Strider may have heard that.

"We have no choice but to trust him." I said. "Merry, think about it, something awful would've happened to us by now if we weren't with Strider." I spoke. I didn't know what it was, but my gut gave me a good feeling about this man.

"But where is he leading us?" Sam asked, leading Bill the pony.

"To Rivendell, master Gamgee. To the house of Elrond." Strider said.

Sam's face lit up. "D'you hear that!? We're going to see the Elves!"

We were all hungry. I felt my stomach make a noise, meaning it was coming up for second breakfast time. I turned around to see the others getting out a frying pan and food. I went to help them.

"Gentlemen!" Strider yelled, obviously forgetting about me being a girl. I looked at him. "And lady."

I smiled.

"We do not stop till nightfall."

"What about breakfast?" Pippin asked.

"You've already had it."

"We've had one yes, but what about second breakfast?"

Strider rolled his eyes at us and carried on walking. I sighed and stood up, helping put everything away.

"I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip." Merry said to Pippin, sadly.

"Wha- but what about elevenses? Luncheon! Afternoon tea!? Dinner? Supper! He knows about them, doesn't he?" Pippin sounded desperate.

"I wouldn't count on it."

Suddenly, an apple came flying in our direction, and Merry caught it in his hand. He patted Pippin on the shoulder and walked off with his apple. I walked past Pippin as another apple came flying at him, and hit him on the head.

"Pippin!"

He picked up the apple and the five of us, and Bill the pony, carried on following Strider.

We walked all day, and we hadn't eaten much. My legs were aching badly, and so was my stomach. I was so hungry. And the others were the same. Pippin was the one who complained the most about being hungry, though. After hours of walking, I walked behind everyone else, looking after and leading Bill since Sam got tired of it. The sky was a dark blue now, almost black. We then approached an area in a woodland called the Midgewater marshes. The water there looked disgusting and... creepy...

There were little midges everywhere.

"What're they eating when they can't get Hobbit!?" Merry said, swatting a midge.

I stopped right before the water. I looked down at it and suddenly dark thoughts came to my mind, that creepy water looked like it wanted to drown me. Or there would be creatures in there, waiting to grab me and...

"What's that lasses name again?" Strider quietly asked Sam.

"That's Miss Maisy Baggins, Sir."

"Come on, Maisy." Strider said, and the others looked back at me.

"Frodo, this doesn't look very safe." I said, quietly.

He turned around saw I was hesitating.

"Come on. It's okay." he said and I took a breath and carried on walking.

We walked through the disgusting sludgy mud for a bit. Merry was walking near me and I suddenly lost my balance and fell over into the mud. I heard a little laugh and I lifted my head and glared up at Merry and Pippin.

Merry suddenly looked at Pippin and shoved him in the arm.

"Hey Pippin, it's not funny."

"But, I saw you laugh too!"

"Whatever." Merry said and before I could try to get up Merry grabbed me and pulled me up.

"Merry, Pippin, thanks a lot." I glared at both of them before trudging off ahead. This was no laughing matter.

I heard Pippin start laughing again, though I chose to ignore it as it would be childish to show him anymore of a reaction.