A Knife In The Dark

The next day, we set up camp at another place called Weathertop. It was like the ruins of a temple. Strider also said it was an old watchtower.

"This was the great watch tower of Amon Súl. We shall rest here tonight."

Strider dropped a bag in front of us. Inside, were five daggers, but swords to our size. We all pulled one out and unsheathed them.

"He doesn't expect us to actually use these, does he?" Pippin asked.

"I hope not." I said, putting mine down on the floor.

"Stay here, I'm going to have a look around." Strider said and walked off.

We sat there talking for a while, until Frodo got tired so he went to sleep. I stayed sat up against a rock, fiddling around with my notebook and pencil which I brought in my bag. I wanted to draw something, since I had nothing else to do.

"My tomatoes burst!" Merry complained, causing me to look over at them.

Sam, Merry and Pippin had started a fire.

"Can I have some bacon?"

"Sure. Want a tomato Sam?"

"Guys, maybe you shouldn't start a fire like that." I said unsurely. "It could attract the evil things."

"I'm sure it's fine, at least we get to eat." Pippin said.

I sighed. "Yes, but don't you think we should stick with things that won't draw so much attention to us? Like fruit for example?"

"Maisy, relax. If something had seen us we would know about it by now." Merry said, sounding so sure of himself.

"What're you doing!?" Now we knew Frodo was awake.

"Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon." Merry replied to Frodo, again oblivious to the danger the fire was causing.

"We saved some for you Mr Frodo-" Sam held up a plate, but then Frodo started stamping on the fire to put it out.

"Put it out you fools put it out!" Frodo shouted as the fire died down and then was gone.

"Well that's nice! Ash on my tomatoes!" Pippin complained, so loudly it echoed.

I was about to get up and try to calm them down, but then I flinched as a loud, familiar screech echoed through the air. We peered over the edge to see the black horses with their black riders.

"What were you saying earlier Merry?!" I was furious with the hobbit.

"Just be quiet Maisy!" He snapped back at me.

"Go!" Sam bellowed. We all grabbed our weapons and rushed up the stairs and to the top of the damaged watch tower.

We all stood together, back to back, our swords held out in front of us. I clutched mine tightly, my hands trembling. Then, from behind each pillar, five Nazgúl all walked out from different sides, slowly circling us. Inside, I was almost having a panic attack. But, I remained quiet and stood where I was, and by instinct we all stood in front of Frodo, protecting him. Because we knew he had what they were after.

The Nazgúl all had their big, long swords out in front of them, and they got closer and closer to us, and we slowly walked backwards until we were right at the wall.

"Back you devils!" Sam burst out, swiping at the big Nazgúl in front of him.

The Nazgúl swiped back at him, knocking him over into a rock. Then, the four of us left immediately grouped together. Another Nazgúl reached forward and threw Merry and Pippin aside. I took my ground in front of Frodo, it was just me left to do something now. As a Nazgúl was about to swipe at my head, I dropped down to the floor, and whacked my sword into its leg. It let out a loud scream, kicking me in the stomach, winding me and causing me to fall back.

I looked up and realised Frodo had moved. I winced and tried to get up again, I could barely breathe.

Frodo dropped his sword and tried to run, but he fell over too. The Nazgúl all walked over me, circling Frodo again. He scrambled backwards until he was against a rock, and all the Nazgúl circles behind the Witch King that was about to stab him. Frodo, who was terrified like the rest of us, didn't know what to do, so he put the ring on. And, he disappeared into thin air. The Nazgúl were docked for a second, and then suddenly Sam grabbed me by the arm and helped me up to my feet. We attacked a Nazgúl from behind, but it pushed us over again. Somehow, the Nazgúl could still see Frodo.

Me and Sam helped Merry and Pippin up to their feet, quickly forming a group again.

Frodo saw the whispy, ghostly shapes of the Nazgúl, their skeletal faces wearing crowns upon their heads. The Witch King reached out for The Ring, which was glowing. Frodo's Han was being drawn to the hand of The Witch King. At the last moment, Frodo pulled his hand away. The Witch King then stabbed Frodo in the shoulder, then reaching out for his hand again. He paused as he heard someone shout.

It was Strider!

Strider had a flaming torch, waving it around the Nazgúl to scare them away from Frodo. Frodo, groaning in pain, removed The Ring. I was on the floor, I was coughing and gasping desperately for air since I had been kicked hard in the stomach, and my head had hit a rock from when another Nazgúl had hit me and I fell over. I watched as I saw a bright flame clouding my vision for a moment, and heard many screeches, then I realised that Strider was scaring off the Nazgúl. Then, I heard Sam shout Frodo's name. I looked over to see Frodo, on the floor, groaning and gasping in pain. I then grabbed onto a rock and heaved myself up off of the floor, dodging the frantically running around Nazgúl, and made my way over to Frodo, as well as Sam.

"Frodo!" Sam bent over Frodo.

"Oh Sam..." Frodo said, quietly and weakly.

Strider set light to the clothes of the Nazgúl, scaring them off completely and causing them to run away. Strider then rushed over to us, and we were all crowded around Frodo.

"Help him Strider!" Sam pleaded.

I clutched onto Frodo's hand, trying to tell my brother he would be alright. But I didn't know that for sure. Strider picked up the sword that was used to stab Frodo.

"He has been stabbed by a Morgúl blade." He said, and the sword disintegrated in his hands. "This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine."

Strider then scooped Frodo up in his arms, and we all took off running, through woodlands, with the loud screeches of Nazgúl behind us.

"Hurry!"

I tried my best to run with the others, but my head and stomach was throbbing with pain.

"It's six days from Rivendell! He'll never make it!" Sam shouted, which only worried me more.

Frodo, on Strider's shoulder, kept mumbling Gandalf's name. Strider kept saying Frodo's name over and over. We carried on running, and soon I managed to keep up with the others, despite the pain.