A Short Cut To Mushrooms

It was the next day and Frodo, Sam and I were walking through a very tall corn field. Frodo and I walked in front, and we didn't realise how far Sam was behind us. I turned my head to see that Sam was not in view. I nudged Frodo who too turned around.

Suddenly, we heard a shout. "Mr Frodo! Miss Maisy-Rose!?" It was Sam. "Frodo? Frodo!" He yelled.

Sam soon appeared and he sighed with relief.

"I thought I'd lost you." He said, walking up to us with his wooden stick trailing behind him.

"What are you talking about?" Frodo asked, I just looked at then both concernedly.

"It's just somethin Gandalf said."

"What did he say?"

"Don't you lose him Samwise Gamgee, and I don't mean to."

"Oh Sam. We're still in The Shire, what could possible happen?-"

And with that Frodo was cut off by two more Hobbits barging into us, sending us all toppling to the floor. One landed on top of Frodo, one on top of me. I looked over at Frodo and Pippin was on top of him!

"Frodo! Merry, it's Frodo Baggins!" He said, beaming.

"Hello Frodo!" Said Merry, who was on top of me.

Then he looked down at me. "Oh hello there Maisy!"

"What the heck Merry!" I squealed, rather embarrassed.

My face was burning. Merry smiled awkwardly and rolled off of me. I took a deep breath and shook it off and stood up. Sam angrily yanked Pippin off of Frodo, and he seemed to be very frustrated.

"What's the meaning of this!?" Frodo asked angrily.

Merry and Pippin immediately picked up the vegetables they were holding.

"Hold these." Merry said and piled them into Sam's arms.

"You've been into Farmer Maggot's crop!" Sam shouted.

"And these." Merry said as he put more into Sam's arms, completely ignoring the fact that Sam was getting rather frustrated.

Before I could say anything, Farmer Maggot's dogs started barking and I heard then running through the corn. Farmer Maggot was heading for us, his large scythe poking out of the crops, and trying to threaten us he shouted "Hoi! You get back here! Wait till I get this through you!"

Seconds later Merry grabbed me and Frodo by the shoulders and shoved us into the corn and we started running as fast as we could. Pippin ran in front, and Sam hesitated for a moment, then he dropped all of the vegetables and ran after us.

"Dunno why he's so upset! It's only a couple of carrots!" Merry shouted as we ran rapidly through the large corn field.

Pippin looked back at us whilst running. "And some cabbages and those few bags of potatoes we lifted last week!" He added. "And the mushrooms the week before!" He continued.

"Yes Pippin! But my point is, he's clearly over reactin! Run!" Merry shouted again as we ran and ran until we had to stop.

Pippin stopped dead first at the edge of a steep cliff, then Merry ran into him. I stopped just in time behind them, and so did Frodo. We peered over the edge and before we could think of what to do, Sam smashed into the back of us and then we all tumbled over the edge of the cliff, falling head over heels and then rolled down the steep hill, getting cut by a few branches and rocks, and soon we all landed at the bottom in a large heap.

"Ooh! That was close!" Pippin said, his face extremely close to touching a pile of manure.

I pushed off whoever's leg was on top of me and sat up. Then Merry put his hand behind his back.

"Oh! I think I've broken something!" He complained, I looked up at him and then giggled when I saw he pulled out a broken carrot from behind him.

I brushed myself down and looked around the area.

"Trust a Brandybuck and a Took!" Sam said, still annoyed with Merry and Pippin.

"What? It was just a detour. A shortcut." Merry replied.

"A shortcut to what?" Sam muttered.

"Mushrooms!" Pippin yelled.

I just sighed as Sam pushed Pippin back down to the floor and he and Merry raced to the mushrooms. Pippin got up and ran after them. They all crowded around the little patch of mushrooms, picking them one by one. I chuckled at the sight of them, squabbling over mushrooms. Then I noticed Frodo was looking down the road worriedly. The wind in the distance swept up some leaves and then a faint cry echoed through the thin road.

"I think we should get off the road." Frodo said quietly.

No one noticed at first.

"Get off the road! Quick!" He said, and then Frodo looked frantically for somewhere to hide. So did I, and the others looked up from the mushrooms and glanced around.

We dashed under a large over growing tree root, which sheltered us under a little caved hole in the ground under a tree. I heard a horse huff and then it's hooves slammed on the ground above us. I peered through a tiny hole and saw it. A big, black horse with frightening bright red eyes. But it's rider was even worse. A dark, hooded figure with sharpe armour and gloves on hopped off of the horse, and it's face was completely covered by its hood. Well, it's face was just black. It didn't really have a face.

The horse sniffed the ground and it's nose came closer above us. I looked back and Frodo looked through the hole after me. I felt shivers going through me as a spider crawled over my foot and then I turned my head to see an even larger one on Merry's shoulder. He looked terrified, but of course he couldn't do anything about it since we all had to fight the urge to shake the insects off of us or we would be found. I gulped as the black rider looked around more and I squeezed my hands together, anxiously. I looked over at Frodo who looked sick. His face and eyes just came over and then I saw the Ring out in his hand. He was going to put it on. I nudged Sam who also noticed and stopped Frodo just in time.

Suddenly, Merry through a bag over in the distance and it made a noise, causing the rider and it's horse to talkie off in that direction. With the chance we had, we all sprinted from our hiding place and out into the forest. We hid under some low and bushy trees and Merry slipped over.

"What was that!?" He asked, and we all looked at Frodo, who also looked frightened.

I helped Merry up and Frodo held out the Ring in his hand, and we all looked at it and Frodo in turns. We were all frightened. We did not know what was going on.