Bucklebury Ferry

Darkness filled the area soon. Mist swirled around in the woodland we were hiding in. A black rider galloped through the woods, screaming.

The five of us hurried through the woods, dodging and hiding behind the trees.

"Anything?" Sam asked as we stopped and Frodo peered into the distance from behind a tree.

"Nothing." He replied.

"What is going on!?" Pippin asked, stumbling up behind us and he was almost out of breath.

"That black rider was looking for something. Or someone." Merry said, approaching Frodo and looking at him in the face. "Frodo?"

I noticed something in the distance. "Get down!"

We all ducked down as the black rider on its horse paused on top of a hill, and it looked around and walked off.

"I have to leave The Shire." Frodo said to Merry, and I walked up next to him. "We must get to Bree." Frodo continued, then looking at me and Sam.

"Right... Bucklebury Ferry. Follow me." Merry said, and then he ran off through the trees and we ran after him.

I was right behind Merry when suddenly a black rider appeared in front of Frodo behind me.

"Merry run!" I screamed.

We sprinted as best we could in one direction but avoiding the creature was extremely difficult.

"Frodo! This way! Follow me!" Merry yelled.

We continued to try and dodge the big horse. I ran around the horse to get to where Frodo was and then I led him in the other direction after Merry, the others followed. The horse jumped and the black rider screeched, which hurt my ears a lot since it was right next to me.

I screeched, clutching my ear that was ringing.

"Follow me! This way!" Merry yelled again, and I ran along behind him and Frodo.

The others soon ran ahead as we jumped over a fence and raced down to the river bank where the jetty was. Merry, Pippin and Sam got there first.

"Get the rope Sam!" Merry ordered and they immediately started untying the rope.

After they untied the ferry from the jetty, they then realised that Me and Frodo were still running.

"Frodo! Maisy!" They all yelled.

I shoved Frodo ahead. More black riders on their big black horses came running at us from behind. The chased us down the path as we got nearer and nearer to the ferry. Frodo ran ahead and he soon got there and took a flying leap over the edge of the bank and he just made it into the Ferry, sending them into a heap. They looked up and realised that I was still running. I ran as fast as my little legs would let me.

"Maisy!" The others all yelled. "Run! Quickly!"

Right when the black riders were right behind me, I jumped the biggest leap I had ever jumped which was at least 3 times my height. I landed, half on the ferry, my legs in the water. Pippin, Frodo and Sam pulled me up as Merry pushed the prod into the water.

"Are you okay Miss Maisy!?" Sam fretted.

"Yes, thank you Sam." I panted, trying to catch my breath.

"How far to the nearest crossing?" Frodo asked, panting.

"The Brandywine Bridge, twenty miles." Merry replied.

"Never thought I'd say this but I don't know what we would've done without you there, Merry." I said, and Frodo nodded in agreement.

Merry gave me a smile, and then continued to focus on sorting out the small ferry.

I had hope that we were going to be okay.