Moria

The next morning we woke up early, before sunrise. I noticed Frodo wasn't eating much and his eyes looked a bit baggy; he hadn't slept much. And then I looked at Legolas who hadn't slept in days and he looked like he could run through the Misty mountains ten times. I'll never understand how elves function so well without much sleep. Just how.

Anyway, I ate some bread for breakfast. No second breakfast, and Pippin was not happy at all.

It was dusk again. I'd hardly seen any sun at all that day. Everywhere was dark, dull, and just.. lonely. Especially in this new area we had entered.

Gandalf was looking for something on the wall; the doors into the mines.

"Sam, did Frodo get any sleep last night?" I asked.

"Well, I'm not really sure, I'd already dozed off before 'im and he was still wide awake before, and when I woke up he was again, wide awake."

"I can't help but worry about him." I said.

"I'll check up on 'im later. Don't you worry miss Maisy-Rose."

"Alright Sam. Thanks for being there for him." I smiled.

"Frodo, come and help an old man." Gandalf called.

Frodo had been sticking to Gandalf pretty much the entire day. I walked over to comfort Bill, and feed him a carrot. I knew we wouldn't be able to take him through the mines, Sam especially would be saddened to see him go.

"Ah! The walls of Moria!" Gimli pointed out. "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed."

"Yes Gimli! Their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten!" We all looked up at Gandalf.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas said and sat down soon after on a rock near the water, where Merry and Pippin were sat throwing rocks?

Gimli scoffed at Legolas anyway.

We got up and carried on walking. My legs were quite tired, so I sat down as much as I could.

Minutes went by and Gandalf was still examining the wall.

"Ah... now let me see... Ithildin... it mirrors only starlight..." the clouds moved away from the moon as Gandalf looked up. "..and moonlight."

The pattern on the door lit up revealing an ornate door, with Elvish writing above it on the arch. Gandalf pointed at it with his staff.

"It reads, 'The doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak friend and enter.'"

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asked.

"Oh it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." "Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!"

("Gate of the Elves, open now for me!")

I grinned widely but nothing happened. Gandalf looked quite confused and cleared his throat.

"Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen."

("Doorway of the Dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue.)

Again nothing happened. Pippin had to pipe in and state the obvious, earning a slight sigh from Gandalf.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of elves, men and orcs..." Gandalf murmured, trying to push the door.

"What're you going to do then?" asked Pippin, seeming more clueless than ever right now.