Chapter 16: National Fencer

"JACKSON! Don't attack bluntly like that!" shouted the coach from outside of the playing area.

Jackson that just lose towards his opponent of that practice opened his mask in heavy breathing. He walked out from the playing area and sit on the bench while drinking his water. Ricky Wang, his coach that also his father stood in front of him with both his hands on his waist.

"What are you doing?"

Jackson raised his head, "I'm drinking."

Ricky let out big sighed, "I told you to read opponent's move first before attack. How many times should I tell you that?"

"Fine. I got it. I'll read whatever their move first after this," said Jackson half-heartedly.

"Are you really listening to what I said? How can you play in the next Olympic with your attitude like this?"

"I said I got it, right? Don't need to worry! Am I playing this for a year or two? I did well in London and I can do better in Rio," said Jackson confident.

"Are you sure? But why I feel like your skills nowadays worse than you did during preparation for London Olympic? I'm afraid you won't even passed preliminary evaluation," said Ricky in sarcastic voice.

Jackson looked at his father with unsatisfied look, "Then should I stop doing this?"

Ricky's face changed, "What nonsense are you talking about?"

Jackson didn't say anything and just smirked. He walked away to his locker room not bother with his father that calling out his name.

He opened his equipment one by one while sitting on the bench. His head felt heavy since he wake up this morning. He doesn't know why but he doesn't feels like himself today. He felt like he 'lose' something but he doesn't know what.

He opened his locker and then paused when he saw something. Jackson stared at the triangle necklace he found this morning beside him. That necklace has letter 'Wang' that wrote in Chinese character that made him sure the necklace is his but he really have no idea when he got that necklace. He shrugged before just put the necklace over his head and place the locket right at the center of his chest.

'Urghh... why is this so hard?' Jackson groaned.

'It's okay, Jackson-ah. We can settle this problem as a team. Let's do this together,' said a guy with leader-like voice.

'Don't worry Seun-ah... we're here!' said another softer voice while tapped his shoulder.

'We can do this Jack!' said another deep voice in english.

Jackson took a long deep breathed like he suddenly lose oxygen for few seconds. He huffed, "W-what the hell I just see just now? Who are they and... beside that last voice what language are they talking...? Wait, I've heard that language before..."

Suddenly the door opened that made Jackson flinched. Jeremy, his fellow teammate enter the changing room with his other friend, Sam.

"Hey, Jackson! Do you want to join us watching movie after this?" asked Jeremy.

"Don't worry Jack. We won't go back late. You know how my mom is typical Asian mom that won't let me get back home so late. Thankfully I joined fencing. If not I might end up like my sister that need to study 24/7," said Sam. He's half Korean from his mother while his father is American but now they live in Hong Kong as his father worked here.

"Sorry guys. I don't think so. I want to just go back home and rest after," said Jackson.

"Really? It's okay. Maybe next time," said Jeremy.

Suddenly Sam's phone ringing. He looked at his screen phone before sigh, "My mom. Eung, eomma?"

Jeremy sat beside Jackson before whispered, "His mother might not let him to hang out with me. I met his mother last week and her face expression not so happy to see me."

Jackson looked at Sam that talking in korean through his phone.

"No. His mother let him to hang out with you. By his words it looks like Sam and his mom refer you as the friend that has bright smile," told Jackson.

Jeremy's face turned brighter, "Really? I really heard a lot that I have bright smile," but then suddenly Jeremy's face changed, "But... since when you understand Korean?"

"Huh?"

Sam then finished talking with his mom and Jeremy quickly pulled his hand, "Hey, Sam! Guess what, Jackson knows Korean!"

"No, I don't!"

Sam frowned, "Really? Try say it then."

"Say... say what? I don't know how to speak Korean! I never learn Korean," said Jackson in flustered.

"너 못 생겼어 (neo motsaenggyeosso ; you're ugly)," said Sam suddenly.

"Yah! 너 나 보다 더 못 생겼어 (neo na boda deo motsaenggyeosso; you're uglier than me)!" said Jackson but then when he realize what he just said he closed his mouth, "Wait... how can I speak that out smoothly?"

Sam looked at him with disbelief look, "You really can understand and speak Korean!"

Jeremy's jaw dropped, "Wahh... you're so amazing! I don't know you really that genius that you can talk in different language even without learning it!"

"B-but... how can I...?" Jackson then remembered the sudden unknown scene that appeared in his head earlier that made his eyes turned wider and looked at his friends with disbelief look, "So I can really understand korean?!"

"Why are you asking us?" asked Sam.