Chapter 12

Malatyr's POV

Why, the hell, had I demanded that I be sent to school? I thought as I walked through the halls. I was already running late for class.

My, apparently, golden hair brushed my shoulders as I stopped in front of an oak door before knocking. 

I felt the door open. "Ah! You must be Malatyr! I'm Miss. Stormfall. Please, come in!" Her high-pitched voice was overly enthusiastic. "Everyone! Attention, please! This is our new student, Malatyr Galathynius. I hope everyone will be welcoming. Malatyr, there is a free desk next to Emily. 

I swallowed thickly. Does she not know! 

I tentatively made my way to where I thought I ought to be. "A little left," a voice hissed in my ear. I sighed in relief. I had completely forgotten about Tempest. "On your right," she said as she nudged my neck.

"Thanks, Temps," I whispered.

"Well, clearly, she forgot about you, or she doesn't know," Tempest replied. "Emily is on your left."

I didn't even pull out a paper as I listened to our Common language teacher talk.

Finally, someone to my left, Emily, I realized, nudged me. "You need to write," she hissed. I ignored her since I wouldn't be able to learn otherwise.

She nudged me again. "How do you expect to learn?" she demanded. I cast her a glare, one that I had supposedly inherited from my mother.

The bell rang before she could distract me again.

"How are you going to remember this and your other classes!" she demanded.

"Could you please lower your voice? It hurts my ears," I responded.

"She's scowling at you," Tempest said.

"You didn't answer my question," Emily stated.

I shrugged. "I'm not going to," I replied.

"Well, you're mighty full of yourself," Emily stated before walking out.

I slung my bag over my shoulder, tapping the desks on the way out. "Wall!" Tempest told me. I halted before turning towards the door.

"As I said, you're a lifesaver," I told her as I walked towards my next class, History.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The end of October arrived after what had seemed like years. It could've been the fact that Emily, the only decent person in this Cauldron forsaken school, was ignoring me that made the two months drag on. Or, more likely, the people constantly swarming me as I left classes.

I winced as the bell rang. The infernal noise grated against my sensitive ears. I sat there for an extra minute as the ringing in my ears faded. I nearly groaned as people surrounded me as I walked out of the classroom.

"What do you want?" I demanded as I continued to walk towards the outside of the school.

"Ooooh! Does Malatyr think he's better than us?" someone teased.

I glared at them. "No, I just think that you don't actually want to be my friends." Before I could react, I was shoved against a locker.

I could hear Tempest hissing at them, ready to defend me if she was needed.

"Listen here, you son of a bitch-"

"My mother is not a bitch," I snarled.

It took me a minute to register the punch to my jaw.