Chapter 4

Aelin's POV

The next months between Rowan and Fenrys were tense.

"ROWAN!" I roared. "GET DOWN HERE NOW!"

Seconds later, he showed up... with three chocolate cakes.

He gave me a sheepish grin, "I brought your cakes?" 

I blinked in shock before eating them all.

"So what did you want, Fireheart?" he asked me calmly.

"Oh... Um... Did you want some?" I asked him guiltily.

He shook his head, "No. I got them for you." I nodded slowly, still feeling guilty. 

"You're tired," I muttered. "And I'm a bitch. I've been making you run all over the place. And you haven't complained, and you just do nice things, like getting me cakes, even though I yell at you. A-and-" I burst into tears. "I've b-been so mean!"

He just wrapped his arms around me. "It's okay, Fireheart," he murmured as I cried into his shoulder.

"Why do you love me!" I wailed. "I'm a monster!" He just stood there in shock as I curled up on the floor.

"Aelin," he said softly. "Look at me." I looked into his eyes. "You are not a monster. I love you for all that you are, Aelin. I love you to whatever end. I promise," he murmured. "Understand?" he demanded. I nodded.

"I love you, Buzzard," I told him. "Is it too early to blame mood swings?" I asked.

"You're six months pregnant, Aelin!" he replied.

"Right... Can I have more cake?" I asked.

"Yeah-" 

"That's mine!" Elentiya shouted, cutting Rowan off.

"I asked to borrow it!" came Lyria's shouted reply.

"No, you didn't!"

"I did too! You were too busy cowering away from my friend!"

"Not my fault! You know the hell that I've been through!"

"Divide and conquer?" he suggested.

"Nah, I got this. I would like some more cake afterwards, though," I said with a wink.

"I'll get the cake. You deal with the girls," he said.

I marched up the stairs. "GIRLS!" I roared.

I found them cowering in Elentiya's closet.

"I'm sorry, Mom!" they started shouting profusely.

I just continued to glare at them in silence. "You know what I said about arguing loudly," I stated.

They nodded. I just gave them a look. "To only argue loudly if it's with dad," they muttered.

"Exactly. Now. What is the matter?" I asked them.

"She stole my book," Elentiya muttered.

"Lyria... we've talked about this, too..." I said warningly.

"But, I'm not nearly as good at stealing as Elentiya is! She stole a sword off of Dad and got away with it!" she complained.

"Okay, okay, since you're clearly not learning anything from me, Elentiya you will be teaching Lyria to steal properly, okay?" They nodded. "Now... I have a question for you..." I whispered to them. There was a glint in all of our eyes by the time Rowan returned.