Chapter 61

Emily's POV

The light started to clear away from my vision. I blinked a few more times as I found myself staring out a window.

I shifted slightly, hissing as pain like touching red-hot steel lanced through every inch of my skin.

'Okay. Wherever I am, I'm definitely still alive. Somehow.'

I moved my hand swiftly to my stomach. As if sensing my urgency, a small kick came from my stomach. I smiled.

Wherever I was, I wasn't being held captive. The comfortable bed and lack of chains were proof of that. I closed my eyes again as I tried to figure out what had happened after I'd broken through Vincent's shields.

'Clearly, something stopped the burnout that should've torn my body to pieces. It all happened so quickly. I-'

A movement on my left broke me out of my musings.

Elentiya smiled faintly at me as she sat down. "You're awake."

"Where-" I managed to croak out.

"Orynth. You've been out for a week."

She didn't say anything else after that, forcing us into an uncomfortable silence. "Where's Mal?"

My mind flashed back to the last time I'd seen him. And- My eyes widened. Vincent's sword had impaled him. That's what had been sticking out of his stomach.

I pushed myself up despite the pain. I had to find him.

"What are you doing?" Elentiya demanded as I stood on shaky legs.

I snarled at her. "Take me to my mate. Now."

She took a step back. "I-"

"I said, now," I snapped, taking a shaky step towards her.

"Okay, okay. Just calm down." I wanted to snap at her. Did she seriously just tell me to calm down when my mate might be dying.

My blood turned cold when she exited the hospital wing. 'What if he's already dead and she's taking me to his grave?'

She stopped in front of his room. "We think he'll make a full recovery... but when he gave you all of his magic to save you, it put him in a very bad position."

My head shot up. "What do you mean? 'He gave me all of his magic?'" I demanded.

She frowned. "You're Carranam." She said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "He used the bond to save your life. Well, lives." She gestured to me before opening the door.

I entered the room slowly. I took in the chips and cracks in the paint that I knew so well. I dragged a finger across one of the cracks as I walked past.

I bit my lip as I entered the bedroom I'd once shared with him. My head shot up when I approached my mate. He looked so peaceful, just lying there.

Suddenly, instinct took over, making me drop down into a crouch as an icy dagger sailed over my head. My head whipped up as I caught the next one from hitting me square in the back.

I snarled, turning towards Lyria. She stood there growling at me. "You dare approach my brother?"

My eyes narrowed further. "You dare attack your brother's mate?" I retorted.

"How dare you call yourself his mate!" she snapped, her face contorting into a snarl. "We saved your damned life! You should be bowing at our feet!" she screamed. She whipped around to Elentiya. "And you! Do you not care that this minx broke our brother's heart? Do you not care that she ruined Mal's life?"