Chapter 15

Malatyr's POV

I continued to dodge Elentiya's merciless attacks. 

When one of her ice daggers scraped my elbow, she said, "you're getting better. That was ten minutes before you got hit."

I nodded with a smile. "Now, what?" I asked as I drank some water.

"The dummy thing," she replied, probably gesturing to the training dummy.

I turned towards it. My senses were alert as I punched it. A rush of air from it had my fist hitting it squarely. I continued like that for a while.

"So, how's school?" she asked me.

I punched it again. "Good, I guess. Emily got a boyfriend," I said bitterly.

"Still have a thing for her?" she asked as I kicked the dummy.

"Obviously," I replied as I dodged the next blow.

She laughed. "You're getting good at this," she stated after a while. One final kick sent the dummy flying across the rather large training room.

"Cauldron! Why is it always so hot in here!" I demanded as I tugged off my shirt.

"Hell if I knew," she replied. "I hardly ever wear more than my tank in here, even with my ice powers."

"Makes sense," I stated. "I'm gonna keep going," I told her. "I'm assuming you are going to eat breakfast."

"Well, duh! I can't skip breakfast!" she exclaimed. "I will never understand how you can!"

I laughed. "It's harder to fight blind. Every minute sharpening my senses helps," I replied.

"Okay. That I understand," she stated. "Now! If you don't mind... I'm going to eat," she said. 

"Bye, sis," I said as she left the room.

I turned towards one of the punching bags, taking my frustration out on it. Why does she have to be so rutting perfect! I thought as my fist connected with the bag. Everything about her was perfect, from her scent to her smile to her personality.

A final punch sent the bag flying upwards before I kicked it into the training dummy that was still lying on the other side of the room.

I snarled at the bag as I stalked towards the next one. As I raised my fist to start the next round, a voice spoke up from behind me. "Now, I understand why Elentiya winked at me when she told me you were down here," Emily said with a laugh, making me freeze.

She placed a hand on my bare shoulder, and it took all of my self-control not to kiss her right then and there. 

"Hey, Ems," I said shakily.

"Do you do this often?" she asked me.

I shrugged. "Every morning. It helps with my frustration," I replied.

"Frustration?" she demanded.

"With school," I lied. "Guess what today is," I told her as I put my shirt back on.

"28th of October? So what?" she asked. My face fell.

"No reason," I replied.

"If today is your birthday, then you can't expect me to know 'cause you never told me," she stated.

My head shot up as I gave her a flat look. "Today's not my birthday," I told her. "It's nothing... I shouldn't have said anything."

"Well, you did. Now, I wanna know!" she exclaimed.