Chapter 33

Ladon's POV

Luna had led me down to the kitchens. A smile crept onto my face as I saw a silver-haired fae female with her head tipped back to the ceiling, laughing alongside a golden-haired male that I recognized from last night. Elentiya spotted me, her blue and gold eyes were alight with joy as they met mine. I felt my heart stop dead in my chest at her smile.

"Luna! Ladon! Come sit!" she called, gesturing to the seats beside her. "Mal, you remember Ladon, right?" she asked the male beside her.

Mal stood up as he smiled at me kindly. He was easily taller than me as he reached out a hand. "I'm Malatyr, but feel free to call me Mal," he said.

I blinked in surprise before shaking his hand. "I'm Ladon," I replied.

"Nice to meet you," he stated as he nodded at the counter that was surrounded by chairs. He sat back down, turning to face Elentiya. "There were too many scents... I could hardly recognize yours when you were standing in front of me," he told her. I furrowed my brows with a frown. What do scents have to do with anything?

"Mal's blind," Elentiya explained at my obvious confusion. 

He nodded in agreement. "I use scents to identify people. By the time I was fifteen, I knew how to make it seem like I could see. Although, I usually miss visual cues..." He grinned broadly.

"Wait, am I the youngest here?" I asked.

Luna laughed. "Easily."

Malatyr started to respond when Emily walked in. "You didn't wake me up," she stated as she sat down beside Malatyr, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"I woke up really early," he replied, a warm smile gracing his lips as he kissed the top of her head. I felt like I was missing something, by the way, that no one batted an eye at his blatant display of affection.

Emily lifted her eyes to look at him. "How early?" she asked him with a yawn.

He shrugged with one shoulder. "Probably an hour after we fell asleep," he stated. She shot up at his statement, all of her exhaustion forgotten.

"You only got an hour of sleep?" she demanded, worry lacing her words as she spoke.

"I'm used to it... Sometimes I only get five hours of sleep in a week," he told her.

Emily's eyes were wild while I turned to Elentiya, who was wincing slightly at his words.

"You what!" she shouted. "Mal! That's not good for you!" she exclaimed.

He flinched away from her loud voice. "I-I had- I had to find you..." he stuttered. "I-I-" 

Emily cut him off. "Show me your wrist," she snarled. He shook his head vigorously. "Show me." He lowered his gaze to the table before holding out his hand for her. "I knew it! I knew you were too pale! You imbecile!" she growled at him, her canines flashing in the light. "How long, Malatyr Galathynius!"

"Not that long..." he muttered.

Emily was having none of it. "How. Long," she snapped. Her eyes were practically burning with fury.

Malatyr tapped his leg nervously before muttering something that I didn't catch. Emily's face slackened at his words. The shock was evident as her shoulders dropped while she let go of his wrist. Tears were burning in her eyes as she glanced around the room.

"Did you know!" she demanded, rounding on Elentiya.

"Don't! She- she didn't know! I-I swear! She was away!" Malatyr interrupted. "No- no one knew."