Chapter 56

Elentiya's POV

"Hey, Mal," I started, turning towards him. "What do you think of—?" I stopped short as I saw him and Emily in the midst of a whispered argument. I groaned. "Can you two get along for one night!" I demanded. "That's all I asked of you. One night!"

Surprisingly, neither of them ceased the argument. Instead, it started growing in volume, drawing the attention of everyone else in the room. I watched in shock as Emily splashed her glass of wine all over him.

"You, bitch," Mal snarled, pushing back his chair as he stood up.

"Oh, I'm the bitch, am I?" she replied mockingly. "Well, you're a fucking egotistical jackass!"

Mal didn't even flinch at the insult she hurled at him before shouting back, "I'm not the one who lost a baby!"

Emily stood up. "I'm not the one who couldn't protect my fiancée from getting abducted!"

My jaw dropped. This wasn't an argument anymore. Not one of their usual ones, anyway. Everyone stared in shock as Mal's lips drew back into a snarl. "I wish I never met you."

"I'm glad we can agree on that, at least," Emily stated flatly. "Cause you're a total stuck-up prick."

"I hate you." No hesitance laced his words. And no pain lay in Emily's eyes at the words.

"I hate you more." She pulled her engagement ring off of her finger. "We're done," she snapped, slamming the ring on the table. "Let's go, Ashleigh."

"Good. Take her. And. Get. Out." He pointed to the door. She stalked away while he went out a side door, leaving us all in shock.

A tear slid down my cheek, snapping me out of my shock. I raced to the balcony, where I shifted, flying away from the castle before anyone could stop me.

Tears blurred my vision as I flew, my wings taking me away. 'Why? Why did they break up? They loved each other. Right?' It made no sense and all the sense in the world. The fights. The yelling. The screaming. I'd have been surprised if the whole kingdom didn't know they were having relationship issues.

I landed in the mountains, my claws digging into the snow as I stomped around. I shook my head, roaring loudly into the brisk mountain air.

A hand on my scaly leg shook me out of my anger. "I thought I'd find you here," Ladon told me. I snorted, lying down so he could be closer to me. "Gonna stay like that?"

I sighed and shifted back. More tears slid down my cheeks as I moved closer to him. "I'm scared."

Ladon pulled me into his lap. "I'll keep you safe."

I shook my head. "How can we make it?" Ladon's brow furrowed as he waited for me to continue. "They've known each other for decades, Ladon!" I shouted, standing up and moving away from him. "We've known each other, six months? Certainly not even a year!" He stayed silent as I paced. "They have a daughter, adopted albeit. But a child! And they couldn't even make it work for her!"

My tears froze to my cheeks as I continued my rant. "They loved each other so much that Mal was prepared to tear the world apart for her. And he knew it. She knew it. Everyone knew it. That's why Vincent took her all those years ago. She would've been the perfect bargaining chip. And he knew I'd do anything to make my brother happy. Even give myself up!

"And he spent a century mourning her supposed death! And she spent a century mourning his! And they couldn't do it!" I threw my hands into the air. The snow around me was starting to grow slippery as I packed it down with each step.

"I watched Emily get driven to the point of depression when Vincent took Mal away from her. I watched Mal's shock wear off when he found Emily again. I watched them kiss just for the hell of it. I watched them do everything together. They loved each other. They cared about each other more than the world itself." I stopped. "And they failed," I muttered.

"Come here," Ladon stated as soon as I finished, patting the snowy ground in front of him. He grabbed my hands and looked me in the eyes. "We're not them. Sure, we haven't known each other that long. But I know that I love you. And you love me.

"And that's all that matters."

I looked down at our hands. "You're right. You make me feel safe and happy." I smiled at him. "I get to be myself around you."

"So the wedding's still on?" he teased me, kissing me cheek.

"You can't get rid of me that easily." I punched his shoulder gently. "We should probably head back before my mom decides to yell at me for ditching the party."

"Alright, let's go."

————————————————

We landed on the balcony to the ballroom. The sun had set on the way home. And now the moonlight glinted off my scales as they faded away.

"I guess the party's over..." I murmured as we walked through the empty corridors. Ladon nodded.

I frowned as I heard whispers coming from around the next corner. "Emily?" I asked in shock.

She was dragging a suitcase while Ashleigh held a striped bag. "What are you doing?"

"Leaving." The last sliver of hope in my heart that they'd get back together slipped away. I glanced down at her bare ring finger.

"But- but you love Mal," I whispered in disbelief.

"Did you not hear our argument?" she demanded harshly. "I hate him and he hates me."

"I think I'm going to leave you two to talk this out," Ladon stated. "I'll see you in a bit." He kissed my head before leaving.

A tear fell down my cheek. Emily sighed deeply. "I'm sorry, 'Tiya. I shouldn't've snapped like that. It's just been a long day."

"I- I'll visit you!" I declared, a smile lighting up my face.

"Oh, Elentiya," she replied looking about me with a sad smile. She placed a hand on my cheek and kissed my forehead. "That's not a good idea."

"Why?" I felt like a child as I waited for an answer with sad eyes.

"When your brother finds out, and he will find out, your relationship will be destroyed. He'll hate that you sided with me over him. And I can't do that to you."

"So, you expect me to never visit you again?" I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest. "I'm just supposed to forget you, my sister in everything but name." I choked on a sob.

"Of course, I don't want you to forget me. But I think it's time for us to go out separate ways. But you'll always be my sister." She pulled me in for a tight hug as I sniffled pathetically.

"We'll see each other again. One day. But until that day comes, I'll miss you," she stated.

"I'll miss you, too."

She pulled away. I was rooted to the spot as I watched the two of them walk away.

A/N

Ok, THAT was a sad chapter. Had to happen though. Thanks for reading this far!!! And I hope to see you all next week!!!

Luna (August 9), 217

Elentiya & Cal (May 1), 201

Lyria (September 9), 187

Malatyr (March 20), 170

Emily (July 15), 170

Sam (February 27), 74

Connall (December 2), 72

Ladon (September 13), 21