Chapter 13

Malatyr's POV

It had been five months since my fight with my mother. I still couldn't believe how she had relented slightly. She had given me two hours instead of one to get home from school. And I no longer needed a guard to take me to school.

A pair of hands covered my eyes.

"Guess who?" Emily sang. I, of course, had known she was at the end of the hall a minute prior.

I played along, though. "I don't know... Better not be an assassin," I told her while smiling.

"Oh, c'mon! I know you know!" she said with a laugh.

"Fine, fine! Is it... my history teacher?" I asked her.

"What! No!" she shouted. I burst out laughing.

"I knew you were there since you entered the hall," I replied. I heard Tempest laughing in my ear. 

"She's gaping at you," Tempest told me.

"You what!" she shouted. "But how! I get that you're fae and all... but so am I, and that's just crazy! Did you see me?"

I shook my head in amusement at the irony. "Nope!" I felt kind of guilty for keeping it a secret but at the same time... I remembered the children that had found out when I was younger.

"She's not like them..." Tempest told me.

"I know," I muttered. 

"You know what?" Emily asked.

"Nothing," I replied quickly.

"If you say so," she said slowly. I could tell that she didn't believe me, but, at least, she didn't push it. I didn't need to be ridiculed more than I already was. "I gotta go. I'm gonna be late. See you at lunch."

I smiled. "See you at lunch," I replied before hurrying to my own class.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Class dragged on for the hour before the bell rang. 

I found myself sitting alone at the table I usually shared with Emily for the first five minutes. Within those five minutes, Tempest had decided that it would be a good idea to steal my chocolate.

I glared at the table.

"Give it back, Temps," I snarled at her.

"Uh-uh," she replied.

I scowled. "C'mon, this isn't fair!" I told her. 

"Well, too bad," she said, smugly.

I crossed my arms as I focused on pin-pointing Tempest.

My hand shot out, snatching the chocolate back from her. She let out a startled squeak.

"Was that really necessary?" Emily asked as she sat down in front of me.

My face flushed. "Yes?" I said questioningly.

Tempest had returned to my shoulder by now. She was laughing so hard that she fell off of my shoulder and onto the table.

"Who's this?" Emily asked. My eyes widened.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," I replied.

"You can be an amazing liar, Mal. But right now, is not one of those times," Emily replied with a hint of laughter in her voice.

I groaned. "I-I'll explain after school, back home," I replied. 

"You better," she said teasingly. "I bet there's a good story behind this if you've kept this little fellow from me," she stated.