Chapter 50

Elentiya's POV

My blanket was wrapped tightly around me as I trudged over to the balcony doors. Ladon had opened them last night to let in some fresh air. And because, due to sickness, my magic wasn't cooperating, I had to get up and close them myself.

I shivered as a harsh wind threw flakes of snow into my face. There shouldn't be snow in May. Stupid seasons. I slammed the doors shut as someone knocked on the door.

I groaned, grumbling to myself as I staggered to the door. Ladon smiled at me. "What?" I rasped. Before he could answer, I turned away, sneezing several times into my arm.

"Are you hungry?" I shook my head. He frowned. "You need to eat, 'Tiya," he whispered as he walked me back to bed.

"Don't wanna..."

"Fine. But you're going to, at least, drink the hot chocolate I brought you."

"Overprotective-" I sneezed again, this time followed by a fit of coughing. "Fae bullshit..."

He set the tray he brought on my bedside table. "Is it bullshit if you haven't eaten in three days?"

I flipped him off. "Oh, wonderful!!! She's back, everybody!!!"

I punched him in the shoulder. "Owww... Why must you be so violent?"

"Not violence... communication..."

He grimaced as another round of coughing wracked my body. "Come on, let's get you in bed." Before I could do anything, he lifted me off of my feet. The blankets swallowed me up in their warmth as he sat me up. The steaming mug of hot chocolate was then pressed into my hands while he sat down on the bed next to me.

I looked towards him, his mouth quirked into a small smile, and his brows dipped. "Thank you," I murmured. It was nice... being fussed over for once.

He smiled at me. "My pleasure."

I glanced up at him as I sipped from my hot chocolate. "Sit with me?"

He arched a brow at me before tentatively sitting down with his feet still planted on the floor. Rolling my eyes, I scootched over, patting the blankets beside me. "Get over here!" I told him with a huge smile.

He slowly moved over so that he was sitting beside me, receiving another eye roll as well. As he settled against the headboard, I snuggled into his side, humming contentedly. He wrapped an arm around me, holding me against him.

I sipped my hot chocolate, continuing to smile despite feeling terrible. "How's your leg feeling?" I asked him.

He snorted. "Hera, you know that it healed two weeks ago."

"I told you to stop calling me that," I replied.

"We both know that you love it."

I opened my mouth to retort, but he interrupted me. "Anyway... I found out what's up with your magic."

"Hmmm?"

"You know, why your fire can only sometimes melt iron."

My jaw dropped. "I forgot about that..." His body shook with poorly contained laughter. "Stop it!" I pouted. "I've had lots going on."

"Okay, fair point." He kissed my head, like I had seen Mal do to Emily more times than I could count.

"Sooooo-?"

"Right. Your magic. It's moon-fire."

I froze. Stories of the destructiveness of moon-fire came to mind as my breathing grew shallow. My mother had nearly destroyed an entire island using it. Clearly, I had been lucky that I hadn't caused anywhere near that amount of destruction.

"Elentiya?"

"Why? Why me?" I asked, turning around to face him. My whole body tremble as I looked up at him through tearful eyes.

"I don't know, love. But I talked to my Aunt about it. She said that she'd be able to train you on how to use it... if you want."

A sob wracked my body. "How have I even been able to use it?" I mumbled into his chest.

His hands trailed down my back. "Powerful emotions. It senses a danger and rises up to destroy it."

"Then how can I possibly control it?" I snapped.

He chuckled softly. "How did you learn to control any of your magic?" He replied. "You need to practice. And Aunt Amren will help you."

I snorted. "Oh, yes, she'll be a huge help with her extensive knowledge of magic."

He arched a brow at me as he frowned.

"Oh, please!" I snarled, pulling away to look him in the eyes. "She has no dammed magic, so how can she know a thing about moon-fire!" My shouting was swiftly followed by a foot of coughing.

He continued to frown at me. "I thought you knew."

"Knew," I sneezed loudly. "What?"

"She used to be a goddess in your world. Deanna to be exact."

I opened and closed my mouth, trying to form words. "She, what!" I finally managed to squeak out. "Bu-bu-bu-but... She and my mom get along fine! Better than fine!"

He shrugged. "I don't know their personal history, only that she knows moon-fire better than anyone. She's really your best hope of figuring this power out."

I swallowed thickly, pondering the information that had just been dumped on me. "You really think she can help?"

He nodded, a smile creeping onto his face. "I do. But only once you've gotten some rest and are feeling better."

"Okay. I'll do it."

"Then I'll leave you to get some rest." He stood up, taking my empty cup, and placing it on my bedside table before tucking me in. He picked up the empty cup again after pressing a lingering kiss to my forehead.

I watched him walk to the door, his gait perfectly even, sending a wave of relief through me each time I saw it. He paused at the door, a hand on the doorknob as he turned and smiled at me. "Try not to worry about your brother too much, either. Emily said that he'd come back in his own time, and it's only been a month." He left before I could even open my mouth to respond.

I shook my head slightly as I rolled onto my side, 'when did I ever so lucky that I found him?' I asked myself as I closed my eyes, slowly drifting to sleep.

Malatyr's POV

The walls of my mind's safe space felt restricting lately. I stood up yet again as I began pacing. I couldn't get Emily's words out of my head. I pressed my head against the wall before whirling around and sitting down again. A sigh escaped my mouth as I buried my head in my hands. I could leave.

"No. That'd mean facing everything else," I muttered as I stood back up. Her magic danced at my fingertips as I approached the wall. The sensation was strange. But not foreign. Never foreign. I shook my head, sitting back down. I wasn't ready yet. Instead, I wrapped her magic around my heart, pretending that I could feel her. That she was here with me. All the while, knowing that I wouldn't be staying here much longer.

A/N

Luna (August 9), 216

Elentiya & Cal (May 1), 201

Lyria (September 9), 186

Malatyr (March 20), 170

Emily (July 15), 169

Sam (February 27), 74

Connall (December 2), 72

Ladon (September 13), 20