Chapter 2

Aelin's POV

Three weeks after the party I had thrown for our friends, Dorian decided to throw a ball.

"You need to tell, Rowan, Aelin," Fenrys said as we rode ahead of our friends. I stroked the mane of Kasida. 

"You need to tell Rowan about your secret," I shot back.

He whipped around to face me. "He'll kill me! Literally!"

I smirked at him.

"How did you even know about... us?" he asked.

I laughed at his surprise. "Are you really that surprised that I know?"

He opened his mouth to reply before shaking his head. "No, I really shouldn't be."

"Anyway, Lyria confirmed my suspicions."

He gave me a look. "Wa-wa-wait... your daughters talk to you about that kind of stuff?"

"Yeah, do you see me reprimanding them for anything?" I asked him.

"Rarely. Why can't you have a normal relationship with your daughters?"

I raised my brows at him. "Since when is anything I do normal?"

He barked a laugh at my indignant look. "Trust me, Aelin, you aren't normal. Neither are your daughters."

"C'mon, Fenny, I'll race you the rest of the way to the castle!" I shouted as I urged Kasida to sprint down the streets of Rifthold.

"Hey! No fair!" he shouted as he raced after me. "You have the fastest horse here!" 

I laughed as Kasida flew over the cobblestone streets. It was early enough in the morning that they were mostly empty, with only a few vendors setting up.

"Hurry up!" I called as I raced past the castle guards. Their sleepy forms jolting awake as I skidded to a halt. By the time they had become aware that I had entered the courtyard, I was already in the stables.

Two wyverns landed beside two dragons on the wall. Lyria and Rowan landed beside me as Fenrys and Lorcan skidded to a halt behind me.

"I win!" I shouted as I dismounted Kasida.

I was sure that Elentiya was already chatting away with Josefin, who was the Captain of the Guard. 

I wiped down Kasida while chatting with Lyria.

"So, how are you and Fenny?" I asked her in a whisper. She blushed deeply.

She smiled at me, nonetheless. "Fen is still pretty nervous 'round, da."

"I talked to him on the way here. He was pretty surprised that we talk about this stuff. Don't know why, though," I told her and shrugged.

"How's..." she gestured to my stomach.

"Just fine... I hope. I haven't been drinking, which is a pain. Rowan will figure out pretty soon. I thought for sure that my cover was blown at dinner three weeks ago," I told her, and she laughed.

"You shouldn't have proposed that toast," she whisper-shouted.

I laughed. "Just so you know, I'm totally okay with your relationship with Fenny," I told her as I led Kasida into her stall.

"Thank the cauldron!" she sighed. "I wasn't sure if you were digging for details so you could destroy us or if you were supportive!"

"Completely supportive!" I told her. "It'll be funny when your father finds out, though."