Chapter 28

Malatyr's POV

"Why do you do this?" I demanded as Connall followed me into the chocolate store. The delicious aroma made me sigh in contentment. 

"I-" he started before immediately stopping. I raised my brows as I turned to face him. He let out a long sigh. "Fine. Sam and I promised Elentiya that we would take care of you," he admitted in defeat.

I frowned slightly as I processed the new information, trying to decipher what I was feeling. "Thank you," I replied eventually. "That means a lot to me." I paused before deciding to continue. "Did she tell you anything else?" I asked slowly.

"Oh. I thought you would be mad," he stated. I shrugged at him. I definitely wasn't mad, why would I be mad when Elentiya was trying to keep me safe? I dragged him up to the counter to purchase our chocolate cake. "She also asked us to check on you once a day," he stated as we left the shop.

I nodded, not really sure what else to say.

"Was there something she should've told us?" he questioned me as we walked through the streets.

I opened my mouth to reply when I caught a familiar scent. I froze in place as I recognized the scent of forests and blood. I inhaled again as I pinpointed the direction it was coming from. Shoving the cake into his hands, I turned, shifting as I did so, and flew in his direction.

I used echolocation to track my prey as I beat my small wings furiously. I felt a bitterness surge through me as I realized that I had shifted. It was something I only did on rare occasions now. I clenched my jaw as I refocused.

I became fae once more as I landed inside a house. I quietly crept through the old creaky house. His scent led me into the basement. As I slunk down the rickety stairs into the chilly, musty-smelling basement, I noticed another, much sweeter scent mingling with Vincent's.

"Malatyr Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius... A pleasure for you to join us," Vincent's gruff drawl sounded from within the room. The stone floor beneath my feet shook infinitesimal as I stopped dead in my tracks. Another negligible shake announced Vincent's approach.

"I dare you to come closer," I snarled at him, my lips pulling back to reveal my elongated canines.

He clicked his tongue in disappointment. "Come, now, Malatyr. I only wish to speak with you. There's no need for violence," he stated. I didn't move, so he said, "sit."

"I'll stand," I replied flatly. "And you lost all chances to speak peacefully with me when you killed Emily."

He sighed dramatically. "I never killed your precious mate," Vincent groaned.

I rolled my eyes. "I felt the bond snap, imbecilic fool," I snapped back as I crossed my arms. "My sister watched her die!"

"Fine, fine! I'll explain! What do you know about portals to other universes?" he asked curiously.

"Why should I tell you?" I demanded. "As I said before, I have no wish to have a pleasant conversation with you," I growled at him, barely holding myself back from attacking him outright.

"Ah, but you're interested in what I have to say, aren't you? What am I saying? Of course, you are! You would've attacked me otherwise," he muttered to himself. I scowled at his statement. He was right, though. I was more than interested in hearing an explanation. However, I was equally intrigued in ripping out his damn throat.

"So what if I am?" I demanded as I raised my brows at him. "Do indulge how everything my sister saw could be a lie?"

I could hear the smirk in his voice. "My plan was quite simple, really. I swapped her out for a different prisoner under an illusion. I slit that prisoner's throat as the portal closed, effectively cutting the mating bond which gave the appearance that she died."