Chapter 26

Emily's POV

I finished the last wyrdmark before stepping through the portal. It definitely wasn't my best idea ever to create random portals. And it definitely wasn't my best idea ever to walk through said portals in hopes of one of them taking me back to my world. I groaned as I realized that this wasn't my world either. Pulling my notebook out, I marked off my latest attempt... What was it now... I glanced down at the number written in the small journal. 5012. Why couldn't I find my fucking world? At this rate of success, I was never going to find my way home.

I stuffed the journal back in my bag alongside the other two that I had already used. I'd need a new one soon if this kept happening, but right now, I needed to find someplace safe to rest and eat.

I trudged through the open field towards a group of people. There was a wide dirt road that was lined by tall wooden posts, which were connected by black rubbery strings. I was so lost in my wonder at this strange world that I didn't notice the monstrous thing behind me before it was flying past me. I jumped in surprise. "Holy shit! What the hell was that!" I shouted as my head spun. It was already almost out of sight. After that incident, I frequently checked around me, searching for any more unexpected surprises.

After an hour of walking, I came across a small city. I wove an illusion around my appearance to blend in with the humans milling around the city. There were also plenty of the fast-moving things. Some of them were stopped along the black road, while others were beside houses. They came in so many different colours. It was, quite frankly, overwhelming. 

Humans were walking on square beige stones that were lined up to make a path. My eyes darted around the busy place. I carefully brushed against the minds of the people around me, hoping to catch some idea of where I was or what the hell everything is. Unfortunately, everything was in a foreign language. I frowned as I sifted through their mind, searching for an understanding of their language.

"So, English," I whispered as I grasped onto their understanding of the foreign language. I glanced around as I finally understood the words everyone was saying. I started muttering to myself as I tested out the new language. 

The strange new world I had landed in had me in awe as I looked around. I could definitely see myself staying here for a while. I smiled to myself. Terrasen wasn't going anywhere. Plus, I could use the knowledge of this world to make Terrasen better. It would be glorious once I reopened my shop and started inventing objects. That would be an extraordinary day. Yes, I'd be staying here for a while. I'd find a job, rent an apartment and learn loads about everything.

Elentiya's POV

A week had passed since our talk in the kitchen. Mal still hadn't returned to Orynth, and I was worried that something had happened to him. It was the first time he'd been gone longer than three days. I shook my head as I attempted to dislodge the concern I harboured for him. It wouldn't do him any good right now. Not when I had no idea where he could be.

I spun away from the window. I had better things I could be doing. My gaze caught on a book that was lying on the small wooden table beside my bed. It would be a good enough distraction from my mind.

I flopped on my bed as I picked up the book.

---------------------------------------------------------

The book was a very good distraction. I'd spent the entire day reading. And I was now walking down to the kitchens, book in hand, in search of something to eat.

"Oh! Elentiya! I was looking for you!" Lyria exclaimed in excitement. "You'll never believe what I saw!" I made sure that my irritation was very clear by frowning at her. "C'mon!" She didn't even wait for me to follow as she grabbed my arm and dragged me in the opposite direction of the kitchens and into the training room.