Chapter 60

Malatyr's POV

The fortress's halls were eerily silent as I ran through them. My footsteps were light even though my heart beat furiously. I had to find Vincent. And there was only one place he would be right now.

I made my way to the heart of the fortress. My stomach twisted as I made my way to his 'throne room'.

I stopped in front of the doors, bringing thoughts of my family to mind. Both the one I was born into and the one Emily and I were creating. I thought of the pain he'd caused me. The pain he'd caused my sister. The pain he'd caused my mate. I thought of why I was doing this. Because I had something worth living for. I would fight. Because...

Because I had something worth fighting for.

He had nothing.

No family. No friends. Just the want for power. Just the want for control.

And that's what would let me win in the end.

He wanted it.

I needed it.

I pushed the doors wide open. Vincent's cold voice echoed in my ears as I stalked towards him. "I was wondering when you'd show up, Elentiya."

I let out a cold laugh. "I think you have me confused for someone else, Vincent." I spat his name. I heard him whip around. "Surprised to see me?" I demanded, throwing an icy dagger at him. I scowled as it shattered against the wall behind him.

His magic reached out through the room. I could practically hear the evil smile stretching across his face when he realized I was alone. "You made a huge mistake coming here alone, your highness," he said mockingly. He unleashed himself on me. His sword clanged against mine.

"The only one who's made a mistake," I growled at him, "is you." I spun sharply, slashing at him. "You've crossed me too many times." I swung at him again. "And now..." I blocked his next attack. "You'll pay with your life."

Emily's POV

I breathed heavily as I leaned against the fortress's wall. The last soldier has fallen over a minute ago and we should've been on our way to help Mal. But here I was, trying to catch my breath enough to walk.

Elentiya walked up to me, a frown lining her lips. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I rasped. "Fine. Just need to catch my breath."

She frowned, biting her lip. "Let me help."

I opened my mouth to protest but she'd already placed her hands on my ribs. Cool air flooded my lungs and veins, bringing oxygen throughout my body. My breaths quickly deepened even as her eyes widened.

She stepped back, opening and closing her mouth. "You-"

I cut her off. "I'm not leaving so save your breath. You need me. And he's well aware of my situation. We'll talk about this later." I turned to the rest of our group. "Let's go."

I half-ran through the halls, following Mal's scent to the closed doors of the throne room. I paused, wrapping all of us in an illusion and another around the closed doors.

We entered silently, Elentiya stopping any noise from reaching their ears with her magic. Mal and Vincent fought ferociously. The blood and bruises covering Mal's skin made me sick.

I immediately tapped Mal's mental shields. Like every other time, they melted away, giving me access to his mind.

'We're here,' I whispered into his mind. All I got was a warm feeling spread from him directed at me. But it was all I needed to know that he'd heard me. I withdrew, locking eyes with Luna before the two of us turned our focus to Vincent.

I forced my eyes closed. I needed to be clear-headed. And watching my mate in a fight to the death would only cause me to worry.

I reached out tentatively with my magic. I gritted my teeth against the burnout that lingered far too close.

My magic brushed against Elentiya's mind, then Ladon's and Cal's before moving to Connall's. I moved past Mal's mind to Luna's and from hers to Vincent's. Our magic twined together, creating a much stronger force.

I made myself breathe deeper, trying to push past my fear so that I could concentrate. A steady hand on my shoulder snapped me out of it all.

I smiled faintly at Luna, her hand resting firmly on my shoulder. Together. Only together could we accomplish this.

I shut my eyes tightly as I cleared my mind. I pushed away thoughts of the battle raging in front of us. I pushed away thoughts of Ashleigh and the burnout far too close for comfort. And I pushed away thoughts of the life I carried.

With a small part of my mind remaining focused on the illusion, I made my magic move with Luna's.

Together, Luna and I, slowly, meticulously, scraped away Vincent's mental defences.

I pushed forward even as heat started to fill my veins.

I pushed forward even as I knew my last breaths would pass soon.

I smiled as I felt a deep unending pain push into my stomach.

I fell to my knees as the illusion crumbled. As I gave myself and the precious life I already loved so dearly to the power I wielded. To the lives of the six people surrounding me. For their freedom. And peace. Even if they would weep for me. Even if Mal would never forgive me. Even if I would never see it.

It only took a split second for my eyes to open again. It only took a second for a slippery hand to grasp my arm. And it only took a second for the heat to dissipate as power— new and foreign and familiar— to flood the veins that had held so much pain.

I forgot everything in those seconds as Vincent's shields finally fell. I turned, seeing Mal at last.

He was falling. Slowly. And I could do nothing to catch him. I couldn't stop myself from crumbling, either, as my own body failed from fatigue.

My ears rang as everything continued into slow motion. Elentiya rushed towards Vincent while Cal fell to his knees beside me. He shook me, his mouth moving. But no words reached my ears past the dull ringing.

I turned my head, finding Mal again. He was smiling at me while Ladon did something to his stomach. His hand lay on the floor reaching for me. He was mouthing words to me that my fuzzy mind couldn't make out.

I frowned as my eyes snagged on a thing sticking out from his stomach. I blinked, trying to clear my mind enough to make out what it was.

I blinked only to find a bright light filtering into my eyes when I opened them again.

A/N

Luna (August 9), 217

Elentiya & Cal (May 1), 201

Lyria (September 9), 187

Malatyr (March 20), 170

Emily (July 15), 170

Sam (February 27), 75

Connall (December 2), 73

Ladon (September 13), 21