Coffee Date

Pippa groggily rubbed open her tired eyes as she heard noises around her. It was still dark. The only source of light was the glow of the city from out the window. She heard the shuffling noise again. Was Lin awake? She turned her head gently to see Lin, fully dressed sitting on the edge of the bed putting on his shoes.

"Lin?" she whispered. He turned around in surprise.

"Oh no I'm sorry, I was trying not to wake you!" he frowned as she sat up on her forearms.

"That's alright. What are you doing up so early?" she yawned as he walked over to sit next to her on her side of the bed.

"An agent wants to meet with me. I'm so overscheduled for the next week." he groaned. "My only available time was early in the morning."

Pippa glanced at the clock on the bedside table. It was 5:30 AM.

"Oh, alright. Have fun, I'll see you later. Do you maybe want to get lunch before rehearsal?" she offered.

He thought for a moment.

"I think I can, yeah!" he smiled. Her face lit up. "I'll text you time and place?"

"Sounds good. I can't wait." she beamed.

"Me neither. See you soon, Love." he whispered, kissing her on the cheek and gently taking her hand in his.

"See you." she sighed, giving a wave. She missed him. He had been so busy lately, and although she understood, the only time she really got to spend with him was during shows and in the mornings and nights. But at least they could have lunch together today.

"I've got to go. Love you." he slipped his fingers out of hers and slipped out of the room as she relished the last moments of his touch.

She sunk back down to her pillow. She couldn't fall back asleep now- she was already awake. She climbed out of bed and flicked on the light, illuminating the dark room. She could now perfectly view the empty side of the bed. It made her sad to look at. She was finally marrying him- but would it be this same busy routine when they did finally tie the knot? She knew his job was important and that he had a lot of stressful responsibilities. She wasn't angry. Only deprived of that same affection they'd shared a couple months ago.

Pippa got dressed and made breakfast for herself. She didn't feel super motivated, but she still made avocado toast with a fried egg and a green drink, her usual go to meal in the morning.

She wrote some emails and read a bit, not doing much as she waited the couple hours to go to lunch with Lin. Finally it was time.

She grabbed her bag and keys and headed down the busy city street to the café. The crisp wind hit her face, refreshing after a long morning indoors. The wind whipped through her loose hair as it billowed out behind her. The street was bustling with busy people, navigating around one another rapidly, zipping to separate destinations. Pippa loved the rush of NYC. It made her feel alive and alert, like an electrifying energy coursing through her veins. Although it was stressful being busy, the adrenaline of it all always kept her going.

The sound of the bubbling chatter filled her ears as she opened the door to the coffee shop. As she shut the door behind her a bell made a dinging noise, a small gust of wind as it trapped it clicked shut. The jingle and clink of the silverware mended with the smooth, calming jazz that played with ease in the background. It was fairly crowded and busy, but the warm air and delicious smells wafting through the cozy room filled her with comfort.

She peered around for Lin, but didn't see him yet. She ordered a coffee and found an empty table for two, placing her coat on the back of her chair. She took a sip, filling her chest with warmth. She sat back in her chair and waited. She checked her phone every few minutes for a text from Lin. But no reply. Eventually she decided to text him.