Unfinished Apologies

Lin checked his watch. 7:30 AM. Pippa hadn't returned the whole night. He knew she said she was staying the night at a friend's- but there was a miniscule voice that lingered in his mind that told him that maybe, just maybe, she'd come back home. But she didn't, and he hadn't slept a single wink. 

He sat at the kitchen counter, head in his hands and contemplating what to do. He felt absolutely horrible. Why, oh why couldn't he have just waited for her to discuss the wedding plans? He felt like a terrible fiancé, and a terrible person. The only thing keeping him going was the mug of coffee next to him, getting cold from the chill air. 

The reached over and lifted it to his mouth, taking a sip and swallowing. He gagged at the cold, bitter substance, placing it back down. This was definitely not edible. He needed to go to the café down the street to get something he could actually ingest without it tasting like toxic chemicals. He managed to stand up, though sleep deprived and groggy. He threw on his coat and shoes and headed out the apartment door, not caring that he looked a mess. 

Lin trudged down the wet, rainy streets in his sneakers. The neighborhood was fairly calm, and how how serene, despite the occasional siren or honk of a horn. A city of shadows, unsettling yet soothing. A steady drizzle began to sprinkle down onto his uncombed hair. He grunted and pulled his hood over his head as the wet specks landed. 

He finally approached the café, picking up speed to avoid the rain as it increased, the clouds giving their all. He swung open the door and wriggled inside the crowded room. It was bustling with people who buzzed with one another. It was hard to make out the faint music that correlated through the room over the chatter and clinking of utensils. The warmth hit his skin as he closed the door behind him, pricking his hands and fingers. 

He found his way to the front counter where a barista hurried to and fro, filling up cups and collecting money. It was a chilly day, and a popular one for a cup of coffee. The woman turned to him.

"What can I get you?" she asked, out of breath, while pouring creamer into a mug. 

"Just a regular black coffee please." he said promptly as she jotted it down.

"Can I get a name please?" the lady asked.

"Uh, Lin." he told her. She turned to a man behind her who was frantically pouring coffee beans in a machine. 

"Hey Kevin! Can we get a black coffee for Lin? A couple delivery orders too... a mocha for Ben and an oat milk latte with honey for Phillipa!" she yelled.

Lin's eyes widened. Phillipa? His Phillipa?

"Phillipa?" he said out loud unintentionally. The woman turned back around to him.

"Uh... yes, a customer." she mumbled, a bit confused. 

"Oh." he said. His eyes drifted to the man pouring the coffee. He labeled one "Lin" and one "Phillipa". He handed one to Lin.

"That'll be five bucks." he informed Lin, placing his hand out to receive the money. But Lin was distracted by a delivery man who grabbed Pippa's cup and headed out the back door. Lin had to follow him. It wasn't creepy- he just wanted to know where she was. "Sir?" the man asked, getting impatient.

"Oh! Er, sorry." Lin apologized, rummaging through his coat pockets to find his pocket and handing the man some cash. The man nodded, and Lin quickly wiggled through the line of customers to find the man who'd left with Pippa's cup. 

He headed out to the sidewalk and caught the man just in time, who hopped on a delivery bike. Shit, he would never keep up. Lin sprinted after him, keeping a distance so that the man wouldn't get suspicious. The rain hit his head aggressively as he dashed through streets, winded and out of breath. 

After what seemed like an eternity, the guy stopped his bike at an apartment complex. Lin waited as the man went inside the building before following discreetly. He peered around the corner as the guy placed Pippa's coffee cup in front of a door. He knocked on the door and  turned around, thankfully not looking towards Lin. Lin walked towards the door and was about to knock when he stopped himself, lowering his fist from the door. What, was he just going to walk in there and try to have a conversation with her? Seemed like a dumb plan. He thought for a moment, then smiled as an idea crossed his mind. There was a flower shop a few blocks down. He could go buy her some daffodils- her favorite flower- and surprise her! A sort of romantic gesture. She couldn't ignore him after that- she was too kind-hearted. 

"Will that be all?" the clerk asked, tying the bouquet with a pink ribbon.

Lin nodded. 

"Yup." 

"Who's the lucky lady?" she grinned as he handed her his credit card.

"Oh, um, my fiancé." he gushed, turning a bit red.

"Oooh, congratulations!" she smiled. "Sign here." He did. "Have a nice day! Good luck with your special lady!" she smirked slyly.

"Thanks." Lin blushed, taking the flowers from her and giving a wave on his way out. The rain had stopped by then. Though the sky remained cloudy and gray, he could see the sun peeking out, waiting to emerge. He headed back to the apartment, feeling a bit more confident. By now the streets were a bit busier. The city had woken up, although it was never really asleep.

He approached the door and took a deep breath, bringing his hand to knock. His hands tighten around the flower stems from the nerves. He finally got up the courage to knock, his hand colliding with the door loudly. He waited a moment for a response, but it was silent. He knocked again. Nothing. He was about to turn around and leave, when he noticed the door was slightly cracked open. Should he... no. He couldn't. But what if something had happened to her? Why was nobody answering? He reached towards to knob and slowly pulled it open. He peeked his head in and glanced around. Pippa was laying, asleep, on a couch bed. But she wasn't alone. Who was- was that... 

"Anthony?!" Lin shouted. Ant shot up in surprise, waking up. Lin looked down at Ant's hand which rested on Pippa's hair. He quickly pulled it away. Pippa, who's head rested on Ant's chest as she curled up against him, woke up, rubbing her eyes groggily.

"What's going on?" she yawned. She looked up and saw Lin standing at the doorway, and her eyes widened. "Lin! Wh- why, how, w- why are you..." she stuttered in panic. 

"Pippa!" Lin cried, hurt. His eyes began to well up with tears. He wasn't sure what to say or do. "I can't believe you! We get in one fight and y- you sleep with someone else?!"

"Lin wait..." she protested.

"I came to apologize! Y'know that? I felt bad for whatever I did because seeing you upset and angry with me made me nauseous to even think about! I really trusted you. I thought you loved me." he sniffed shakily.

"Of course I love you Lin! It's not like that, I-" she started, sitting up.

"I don't want to hear it Phillipa." he said coldly. His hand weakened and he dropped the flowers on the floor. 

He turned around and left as quickly as he could, not looking back as he left the building. The rain was beginning again, pouring down hard. But Lin didn't care. He just kept walking as tears of jealousy and betrayal streamed down his cold face.