Fights and False Accusations

"What?" she said, confused, forgetting what had happened earlier that day.

"What do you mean 'what'? Explain what you and Anthony were doing in bed together!"

Right! Pips remembered. She'd been so distracted she'd completely forgotten.

"It was nothing, Lin." she insisted, sitting down on the couch next to him. He scooted away. "I don't know how to prove it to you. I- I was upset! And he offered me his couch bed, and..."

"If he offered you his couch bed, and he has his own bed, how come you two were cuddling when I came in?" Lin asked skeptically.

"I had a bad dream. And I wasn't feeling well. He was just there to comfort me. Nothing more." she explained. Lin didn't look convinced.

"Sure. And how do I know you guys didn't just fuck, huh? You think I'll just believe anything and forgive you?"

Pippa was on the verge of tears at this point. "No! I- I would never, Lin! You know that! You're my whole world. My everything."

"Oh, please. We've barely seen each other recently- I wouldn't be surprised if you were sick of me and decided you wanted someone more exciting." Lin snapped.

"And that's my fault?" she shouted, finding it almost comical how ridiculous he sounded. "You've been the busy one. You didn't even realize I was preg- er, pretty upset with you until hours later! You never have time for me anymore! You don't give a shit about m-"

She was suddenly interrupted by the ringing of her phone. She looked down at it. It was Anthony.

"Your side hoe is calling." Lin taunted, still angry. She rolled her eyes, flipped him off, and pressed answer.

"Hi Pip, how'd it go-" he started, but she stopped him.

"Um hey Ant, I'm with Lin, this really isn't a good ti-" she began.

"No please, continue." Lin insisted. "Now's a great time. Tell my fiance what a great time you had last night."

"Lin, kindly, shut the fuck up." Pippa snapped. "You know that isn't what happened. We didn't have sex. Tell him, Anthony."

"We didn't have sex Lin." Ant agreed.

"Wow, believable." Lin gawked, rolling his eyes.

"Ant, now's a bad time. I'll see you tomorrow." Pippa groaned, hanging up the phone. "I promise. Anthony's just a supportive friend. I was really going through it and-"

"Going through what? I'm sorry Pippa I know you were mad, but-"

"Can you stop being such a dick?!" she yelled, regretting it instantly.

"What?" He yelled back.

"You have no idea what I've been through in the last few weeks! It's irrelevant now, but he was there for me when you weren't! We didn't have sex. I'd never do that to you. I can't believe you're doubting me!" she exclaimed loudly.

"Tell me again why I should believe you?" Lin frowned angrily.

"Because I love you! More than I could ever explain. Do you know how much I hated being angry at you? I'm a good fiancé. I care."

The room fell silent. The rapid beating of her heart was the only noticeable sound.

A single tear streamed down Pippa's face.

"I am so sorry Phillipa," Lin whispered. "I've been a jerk. I love you. Ugh, this is all my fault..."

"No, no. Don't blame yourself. Just- believe me. Please." she implored.

He nodded. "I... I do." he gently placed his hand over her palm which rested on her knee.

They sat for a while in silence. It was a comfortable silence, much unlike the awkward, rough-hewn sort where time came to a halt and each second seemed to stretch to its full extent before ticking to the next one.

"So, are we... good? Can we just be okay again? I miss you." Pippa whispered. Lin nodded and kissed her forehead as she snuggled closely into his chest. "I'm so sorry" she said under her breath.

"Don't you dare apologize Pip. Everything is okay now. We've stopped fighting and we're getting ready for the wedding and it's going to be absolutely amazing, because you're the most perfect girl in the world and I'm so lucky to be with you." he beamed, leaning down and kissing her. She slipped a weak smile. "Now I'm gonna order the pizza, okay?" She nodded. He grabbed the warm blanket draped over the couch and lay it on top of her to keep her warm, getting up to find his phone.

"Hi, is this Joe's Pizza Palace?"

                                                                                 •                •               •

Later after they eaten pizza and watched Mary Poppins, they lay in bed. Lin was fast asleep, but Pippa knew she would be awake all night. Thinking. She felt empty somehow, knowing there was no longer a life inside of her. Everything was back to normal. No more morning sickness. No more lies. She didn't have to leave Hamilton. She heard her phone ding on the bedside table. It was Anthony again.

Ant: Hey Pip- idk if ur up but I hope you worked things out with Lin. In all seriousness, how'd the ultrasound go?

Pippa stared at the message for a minute before responding, beginning to feel sick again.

Pip: I had a miscarriage. So I guess I don't need to worry about that anymore.

Ant left her on read for about five minutes before she got a reply.

Ant: Omigod Pip I'm so sorry... how are you feeling? Is there anything I can do for you?

Pip: Thanks, but I'd really rather not talk about it.

She set her phone face down and pulled her covers over her again, feeling her eyes begin to water as she nuzzled her face into her pillow. She didn't want to wake Lin, so she covered her mouth as she choked on her sobs. She barely got a wink of sleep. Instead, she laid there shaking and trembling, her face sopping wet with tears until there were simply no more to be cried.