If The Dress Fits, Wear It

About a week had gone by since Pippa received the news of the loss of her baby. Things were beginning to adjust back to how they'd been before. It was a Friday morning. Pippa awoke to the sunlight hitting her face, it's warm rays shining brightly through the window. She yawned and opened her eyes groggily, turning to her side.

"Good morning love-" she started, but soon realized, once her eyes had adjusted to the light, that the other side of her bed was empty. She swung her legs over the bed and stretched for a moment, fully waking up. Where could he be? They didn't have a show until that night. She threw on one of Lin's hoodies he'd given to her and peeked into the bathroom. It was empty. She gazed around the living room and kitchen, but Lin was nowhere to be found. She picked up her phone to call him when she saw a text.

Lin: Hey love. Out getting coffee- I have a surprise for you! Meet me at this address in an hour.

Pippa felt her lips turn in a grin. She was excited. Nervous yes- Lin had all sorts of crazy stuff up his sleeve- but she was beaming with anticipation and she headed to her room to get dressed. After she'd gotten ready she quickly toasted a bagel and grabbed it to go as she left her apartment. She hopped into her car, turned on Joni Mitchell, and headed to the address. 

She'd never been to this part of the city before. There were shops of all sorts, only confusing her further about what Lin was concocting. She finally found the address. Was this the right place? It looked like... a bridal shop? She found a parking spot and entered the store, a bell on the door ringing. She peered around and spotted Lin, sitting on a couch on the other side of the room.

"What's all this?"she asked, a smile forming. He stood up and pranced over to her excitedly. 

"I felt bad about shutting down all of your wedding ideas. So to make it up to you, we're picking out a dress today! Whatever you like. As long as it matches, y'know, the wedding vibe." he stated. "No pressure though."

"Oh yeah, no pressure at all!" she laughed. "Thanks Lin. This is sweet."

He blushed and kissed her cheek. "Of course."

"But uh," she lowered her voice. "This place is really expensive. Are we gonna be able to afford it, because I don't-"

"Shhh." he stopped her. "Don't worry about it. I've got it covered."

Pippa was still a bit skeptical but decided to go along with it.

"Hello!" An old woman said suddenly, making them both jump in surprise. "Phillipa, right?"

Pippa nodded. "Um, yes." 

"Pip, this is Mrs. Jeanie. The store owner." Lin explained.

"Oh! Nice to meet you!" Pippa said, putting on a friendly expression.

"Likewise. You're here for a dress, correct?" 

Pip nodded.

"Well then. Lin, why don't you take a seat on the couch over there, and Phillipa, let's go take a look at our selection!" she chirped with giddy. Lin did as she said and Pippa followed her into the other room. When she saw what was inside, she just about gaspedr. Rows and rows of stunning white gowns of all different types. Strapless, glittery, they had it all. Mannequins modeling the most gorgeous of designs, propped up on the walls and windows for everyone to see. It was incredible.

"Pick up your jaw honey." Mrs. Jeanie snapped. "Let's find you a dress! Go ahead and look around."

Pippa began to look through the racks, barely touching them, afraid she'd damage their intricate stitching. She moved away from the bolder choices into the more subtle- yet still stunning- options. Her eyes fell on a strapless, long dress with a detailed belt that was simple but gorgeous. She carefully flipped over the tag, and her eyes widened when she saw the price. Three thousand? She instantly moved on from that dress, despite how much she loved it. Her eyes fell upon a sale rack on the other side of the room, and she quickly migrated. She began flipping through the cheaper options when she felt a tapping on her back. She flipped around to see Mrs. Jeanie, holding the most beautiful dress she'd ever seen in her life. It had thin lace straps and a lace top, the bottom silky and flowing.

"I found this for you miss Soo- it's just your size and I think it would look gorgeous on you!" she grinned.

Pippa didn't reply, still in awe of the dress. 

"Is it that bad?" the lady frowned.

"No, no, no! It's stunning!" 

"Would you like to try it on?" Mrs. Jeanie offered. 

Pippa didn't see any harm. 

"Sure!" 

Pippa went inside of the dressing room and changed into the dress. Just as the woman had said, it fit just right. She almost began crying when she saw herself in the mirror. This was exactly how she'd imagined her dress to look like on her wedding day. It was perfect. 

"Come out dahling, let me see!" Mrs. Jeanie called. Pippa emerged, beaming, and the lady clapped excitedly. "Ah, I knew it would look fantastic! Let me find your fiancé."

She disappeared into the other room and returned shortly with Lin behind her. When he saw Pippa, his face lit up.

"Holy fuck..." he said. Pippa giggled. "You look stunning! I mean, you always look stunning, but that dress just... wow."

Pippa felt her cheeks flush red. "Thanks," she gushed. "I love it."

"So is this the one?" The lady asked. Pippa nodded eagerly.

"I think so," Lin laughed.

"Alright. That one's one of a kind. It really is perfect for you."

Pippa smiled and grabbed Lin's hand. The lady looked at a clipboard.

"So it's going to be about five thousand and seventy-six dollars. Credit or debit?"

The couple said nothing. They just stood there, stunned. 

"I- I'm sorry," Pippa stammered. "Did you just say five thousand dollars?"

The lady nodded. "And seventy-six."

Lin reached in his wallet to hand the lady his card. Pippa grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Lin, you can't. It's too much." she protested.

"Pip, there's never been a more perfect dress. It's worth it for you." He continued to rummage around for his card.

"There are a lot of cheaper options that are great too!" she remembered.

"But Pippa." he gestured to the dress still on her, perfectly complimenting her figure. "It's perfect." 

"Ma'am, is it possible we could leave the dress on hold and come back in a few weeks to look some more?" Pippa asked. 

Mrs. Jeanie nodded. "Yes, of course."

"Good, I think we'll do that."

The lady nodded and made a note of it.

"But Pip-" Lin protested.

"Stop." Pippa snapped. "I'm not letting you spend five thousand dollars on a dress for me. At least not until we think it over."

"And seventy-six," he whispered, grinning. 

She rolled her eyes and hit him playfully. "And seventy-six."