The Truth Comes Out

"Let me tell you the truth," Steve begged the officers. They looked at one another in contemplation. 

Pippa was so confused. Why was Steve here? She thought she'd told him to leave her alone.

"...Fine." An officer gave in, leading them away from the staircase towards the middle of the rooftop. It was pitch black outside by now, except for the city lights and a couple of eery lights on the roof. 

"This," he gestured to Jazzy. "Is Jasmine Cephas Jones."

Jasmine let out a laugh.

"Yea, right, that's funny." she lied.

Steve approached her and attempted to take off her disguise, but she pushed him away, trying to prevent him.

"Don't touch me, crazy guy!" 

But he managed to rip off her wig and glasses, exposing her. The police's eyes widened. 

"J- Jasmine Cephas Jones..." one stammered, hand resting on the gun in her holster.

Jas let out a frustrated sigh.

"Dammnit," she whined. "I was so close." 

"Explain what's going on here, someone?" A policeman asked, putting Jazzy in cuffs. She tried to resist but was no match for the six-foot man with a gun.

"Okay, okay." Steve continued. "The reason she was arrested in the first place was for murdering his wife, Vanessa, along with like six others, and he tried to kill her. My ex-wife. Pippa. She kidnapped her, slit her so she'd bleed to death, knocked her out, and locked her in a basement. She went to jail, and well, as you know, she escaped recently."

They all nodded.

"She and her boyfriend Anthony wanted revenge, and so they tried to warn them. Anthony killed three of their friends. Andrew, Daveed, and Renee. And Pippa was next. Anthony took her from her own wedding right before the ceremony, knocked her out, tied her to a chair. Jasmine was here at this point, and they called Lin to come to watch his own fiance get murdered. They tried to push her off the building, but somehow Anthony fell instead. But knowing that, I'd assume it was self-defense."

Lin nodded aggressively.

"And why should we trust you?" A policewoman asked. 

"Because..." he started, voice lowering. "Because I was in on it. I helped Jasmine escape."

"Wh-what?" Pippa exclaimed. "Then how- why are you trying to help us?"

Steve looked at Pippa with regretful eyes. "She was paying me a lot. I needed money I... I don't have a job right now, and they offered a lot of money. And so, I did it. But after, I immediately regretted it. And I tried to call you to explain and to warn you... but you wouldn't listen. I mean, I don't blame you, considering our past... but yeah. That's the truth. That's what really happened. If you don't believe me, I have text messages from Anthony, and all the proof you need for a solid case. Because she," he gestured to Jazzy. "Is a murderer. And they," he pointed to Lin and Pippa. "Are not."

Everyone stood speechless, not sure what to say. 

"Is that true?" an officer asked, looking at Jazzy with raised eyebrows.

"She's a wanted criminal! Of course, it's true!" Lin exclaimed.

"Well then. Jasmine, we're taking you back. To our even more high-security cell block, because obviously, you can't be trusted."

They unclipped Lin's handcuffs and he ran over to Pippa to embrace her. She nuzzled close into him, arms wrapping around him tightly. She never wanted to let go.

"We'll contact you for a more in-depth court case," an officer told them, as they escorted Jazzy off the building.

"No!" she kicked and screamed, throwing a temper tantrum. "It's not fair! I don't deserve this! They do! It was them! No! Fuck you!" 

Her yells quieted until she was gone, and they could no longer see her.

"What the fuck..." Lin trailed, still in astonishment from the whirlwind of events that had just occurred.

"Thank you, Steve." Pippa nodded at him.

He smiled softly. 

"Don't thank me. I should be apologizing. I never should have helped her. I promise I'll never interfere with you guys' relationship again. You really are perfect together, and Pippa, I'm glad that you've found someone loyal that makes you happy." he grinned. "I'm gonna... go."

They waved their goodbyes as he left. 

Soon it was just them two. Pippa looked at Lin, overwhelmed with so much emotion that she didn't know how to act, or what to say. Neither did he. They didn't need to say anything. Lin sat in the corner of the rooftop and opened his arm for Pippa to come close. 

"Come here, love," he whispered. She did. Her head rested on her chest as his arms wrapped around her, a hand stroking her hair as her breathing calmed. They didn't need to say anything else. Not right now. Being in one another's embrace was enough. He kissed her forehead.

They stayed there for about an hour. Pippa was almost asleep. She was so tired. Physically and mentally. The sun was beginning to rise.

"Pip," Lin murmured softly, feeling bad for disturbing her. "Let's go home, okay?"

She opened her eyes and nodded. He helped her up, and they walked, arms around each other's shoulders, off the rooftop and down to their car. Everything was okay now. They could finally be together in peace. Life was finally turning around for the better. Or should I say, "flipping" around. MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH