Chapter Thirty-Seven

It was finally happening. Matt was standing by your side holding your hand as you lay on the hospital bed in your gown. It was time to have your baby. Your feet were already elevated and ready. Now came the hard part. You took deep breaths and were shaking when you exhaled. "No more time for delay. This is going to happen now. Everything's ready and it's time for your baby! Will Matt be cutting the cord?" The doctor asks. Matt looks at you like he wasn't expecting that question. "Yes, he will." You say for him. "Great! Then let's begin." A nurse came to grab your other hand so you had someone on both hands. "Wait!" You say. "I want Carter in here, too. He's been my best friend for so long, it would just feel wrong to have the baby without him in here." "Okay. I'll go get him!" Matt says then he sprints out the door to the waiting room.

What was probably less than a minute later, Matt comes in with Carter right behind. Now you had Matt holding one hand and Carter holding the other. The doctor puts on his gloves. "Now we can begin. You'll want to try and do this in few pushes, so push hard. Keep your breathing steady and this will be over soon then you will know the gender. Now, 1, 2, 3, push!"

After a few minutes, but what felt like an hour, your baby was born. Matt went around and cut the cord then the nurse says, "It's a boy!" You and Matt look at each other. Matt's eyes widen and his mouth flew open but quickly went to a smile. Then he mouths, "It's a boy!" It was easy to tell he wanted a boy. "Do you have a name picked out?" The nurse asks. You and Matt hadn't really talked about names so you look at him. "We can same a name we like at the same time and see which one we like better." You say. "Okay. 1, 2, 3..." "Shane!" You both say at the same time. "No way! That's so awesome! I guess we both like Shane!" Matt says, getting excited again.

You fill out the birth certificate and then the other guys come in your room. "Hey, how are you?" Cam asks you. Matt was holding Shane. "I'm good, thanks." You say. Carter takes out his phone and Matt takes the baby and stands by you. Carter takes a picture with his and Matt's phones. All the guys were taking a bunch of pictures and posting them on Twitter and Instagram. Nash came and stood over Shane to look at him. He smiles then says, "Hey, Matt? Can I talk to you real quick?" "Uh, yeah. Sure." Matt says then him and Nash go out the door. You couldn't hear them but you could see them. They talked a little then Matt and Nash both smile and hug.

Nash sits down holding Shane and Matt stands by you still smiling. "I heard that you can you get out of here today!" He says. "Yeah. What did Nash say?" You ask. "Oh, nothing. We were just talking." You wondered what they were talking about. It was weird because Matt would always you tell you what he talked about if you asked.