Chapter 8

One day before prom

Again, Eddie didn't show up to school for the second day in a row. There was nothing that worried Richie more than walking inside the class without spotting his potential lover. The boy wasn't alone, Stan shared the same period with him and Eddie. The Jewish boy could notice Richie's anxiety, looking around the room desperately: Richie didn't have to say a single word, Stan knew exactly what worried him.

When Richie was about to bit his nails, a habit that thought he wouldn't do again, Stan put all his prejudices away and held the hand that was slowly getting closer to Richie's lips. Stan might make fun of Richie most of the time but he cared about him. They had been friends since they were kids, so it was like they were practically brothers.

Richie looked at Stanley confused when he realized he was holding his hand. Tozier sighed but his worries were still stuck in his head.

"He's not here." Richie closed his eyes for a moment, trying to hold up his tears. He had never cried in school and never would but now, at that very moment, he felt devastated. The unknown things Sonia could be doing to Eddie tormented him more than anything had ever done before.

"I know." Stan tried to emphasize with him. He could comprehend his friend's concern, after all, Bill was always the first thing in his mind every morning. But, unlike Eddie, Bill had a lovely and caring family.

Before walking in the class, Stan noticed how Richie was trying to step back.

"I need to check on him..." Richie tried to get his hand off him but Stan didn't let him do it. Their battle of wills was ignored by their classmates anyway. Nobody ever paid attention to the Losers.

"Later. You're already behind in Latin." he pushed him in. "You're going to fail if you skip, again."

"But Eddie..."

"He will be fine, dude."

Before he knew it, Stan had dragged him to their assigned seats, sitting him on his chair. Richie glared at him before opening his Latin book, acting like he was reading the information when he was actually picturing Eddie in front of him.

'Are you okay?' Richie imagined he would ask him.

Then, Richie would lift his head and stare at his gorgeous hazel eyes, smiling shyly while holding some stupid text book. Maybe, if he was lucky, Eddie would grab his hand and interlace their fingers.

Eddie would sit by his side, focusing on the information written while secretly holding their hands under the table. He imagined the curve of his lips forming a smile and Richie, without hesitating, would kiss them in front of the rest of the class and the teacher.

People would support them and applaud their love with happy smiles on their faces.

Richie shook his head, getting his fantasy out of his sight. He knew that would be impossible so, not having any other option, he went back to his book when the teacher entered the classroom.

Stan looked at Richie sideways, feeling his pain as well.
Maybe one day he could tell him who he really was or, even, Bill. Maybe one day.

But not today.

//

Seven hours. That had been the record of the time Sonia had locked Eddie up in the closet. The poor boy fell asleep between his tears, punching the door and crying out for help. But his mother had ignored him, like she always did.

It wasn't like Eddie hadn't tried to use his powers but he still couldn't control them. The only thing he could do was apologize but, when the door got shut right in front of him, Eddie knew it was over.