Chapter 22

TW: sexual activity mentioned and death (not in this order)

When the balcony door opened, Richie was now looking fine. He had time to let it all out in Bill's arms and now, he was feeling better.

"Rich?"

Richie turned around just to see Eddie standing there, still wearing Richie's Hawaiian shirt. Bill and Mike walked inside, leaving them alone.

Without answering him, Richie looked outside and stared at the trees. Eddie stood by his side.

"Bill finished my cigarette, so you can thank him, I guess."

"I'm sorry." Eddie put his hands on the railing, not far away from Richie's. "I shouldn't have said anything."

Richie looked at him.

"It's just that you worry me, Rich." Eddie said, with a glitter in his eyes. "You worry me a lot."

"I know." Richie grabbed his hand, missing his touch.

"I don't want anything to happen to you." Eddie felt his hand burning but he ignored it. "I love you."

Richie smiled sadly and tried to kiss him but Eddie flinched. Worried that he had done something wrong, Richie asked him if it was his fault.

"You deserve someone better than me." Eddie let his hand go.

"What? No. I want you."

"That's not what you said earlier." Eddie stepped back. "You said I'm nuts. Just like my mom."

Richie looked at him with confusion. How did he know that? Neither Bill or Mike could've told him because they had no time.

"How do you-"

"You broke my heart, Richie." with his powers, Eddie lifted him from the floor, choking him. "So now I'm going to break your neck."

Richie begged for his life and, at the same time, Bill, Stan, Mike and Beverly opened the door and saw them. They tried to get him away from Richie but they couldn't.

"I never loved you." Eddie said, with an evil tone. "No one ever did."

With tears all over his face, Richie saw his life flying away, leaving his body with the crack of his neck. The rest of the Losers started crying. Beverly shook Eddie's body, desperately.

"Why did you do that?"

Why did you do that?

Why did you do that...?

//

"Why did you do that?"

Stanley and Mike laughed, followed by Beverly. Richie giggled too, sitting next to Eddie on the blanket.

"I don't know." Richie replied. "I thought it would be funny, but instead they nearly expel me."

Eddie blinked twice, without understanding where he was. When he felt the familiar air of the Barrens, he soon realized they hadn't moved.

It wasn't until Beverly talked when Eddie felt terrified.

"Hey, Richie! Cigarette?"

"Oh, please." Richie left Eddie's side just to grab the cigarette that Beverly had offered him.

Eddie felt a sudden urge to scream his name and repeat the story. He was tired of his mind playing tricks on him, unable to distinguish between reality and fantasy. What if all his life was just a vision too? What if none of this was real? Would one day wake up and realize the prom had never happened?