Chapter 10

Prom day

Everything seemed ready but her eyes couldn't spot perfection around the gym. There was something odd, something that made her think it wasn't good enough for prom. The decorations were all around the room, coloring the scene with bright colors. The scenario was also clean, ready for the ceremonial speech that will reveal the prom queen and king.

She sighed, feeling nostalgic. In a few weeks, the last year of high school will be over and her friends will forget about her to live their life. Maybe it was selfish of her to think such a thing but it was the truth, she would miss them so much. And then, she walked away to sit on the bleachers: tonight would be a night she would never forget.

Helping to prepare prom had been fun but now it was the time to show up. Sadness invaded her, feeling guilty that she had no partner to go with. She was happy that Richie would go with Eddie, but, deep down, that made her feel more lonely.

There was a girl: Kay McCall. She had been her crush since she realized she liked girls but she wasn't brave enough to ask her out. Kay was popular and pretty, there was no way she knew about her existence or maybe, she did, but she was friends with Gretta so she had no chance.

A tall silhouette opened the gym door, walking inside with an elegant tux. She smiled happily when he recognized her, getting closer to her.

"Bev," he looked around, staring at the prom decorations. "this looks amazing."

"Thanks, Mike." she welcomed him to sit by her side and he did so. "We worked pretty hard."

But something was different with her. Her smile wasn't as pure as always, knowing that she had waited for this day all her life.

"What's wrong?" he asked her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

She remained in silence. That worried Mike even more, wanting her to have her best night.

"Something happened with Richie?"

Beverly took a deep breath, thinking of what would be the best way to answer that question. She knew how enthusiastic Mike was about their relationship and how bad it would make him feel knowing that it wasn't real. But he had to know: after all, Richie would attend with Eddie.

"Actually..." she looked at him. Mike's eyes shined, there was happiness in there. Confessing it would definitely ruin his prom. "no, it's okay."

"Liar." he could tell by her facial expression that this is not what she wanted to say. "Come on, you can tell me. I can take it."

She knew he couldn't. Mike's life was already a disaster and that big lie would destroy him.

But then, out of nowhere, Mike comprehended everything.

"You broke up?"

Beverly lifted her head and nodded. Mike put his arm behind Beverly's back, so the girl rested her head on his chest.

"You hate him?" Mike wondered, comforting her while caressing her arm.

"No." she answered, with a whisper. "I could never hate him."

"That's good." he informed her.

Beverly could hear Mike's heart beating but it relaxed her. Mike wasn't nervous or angry, his heart said otherwise. Now, he was taking care of her, like he always did.

"Who are you going to prom with?"

"I don't know." Beverly confessed, sadly.

Then, Mike stood up, making Beverly take her head away from his body. The boy offered his hands and helped Beverly to stand up.