Chapter XVI

Laura Sakuraba was walking towards her next lesson. She was already fifteen minutes late due to a detention from Elza Forte — a total demon. Luckily, the professor of the subject she was taking this period, Professor Slughorn, knew about the incident and promised not to punish her. Nevertheless, carrying her books, Laura rushed towards the classroom, when she saw something.

A light. Coming from one of the higher floors of the school building.

Like a typical Gryffindor, Laura was a brave and courageous person. She liked to explore everything, taking risks and challenges. Although Professor Slughorn might scold her for being late to class, she wanted to find out what the weird light was.

She ran up the stairs, clutching her books and wand, to the sixth floor. The floor was abandoned even after the renovation made after the Wizarding Wars. It was dark and creepy there — the lights were broken and they were not fixed.

"Lumos." She whispered and her wand lit up, guiding the way.

Laura had paid attention when the prefects showed the first years around the school at the beginning of term. The floor used to be a classroom for the dark arts and there was an alchemy classroom there, too. The sixth floor was rumored to be a haunted place since Harry Potter and his generation left the school through graduation after the Second Wizarding War as the school staff renovated everything in the school campus except the sixth floor.

She followed the direction of the mysterious light, and it lead her into a dark corridor.

A gust of cold wind blew, and gripping her robes, Laura shivered uncomfortably. She felt guilty for not listening to the Gryffindor prefect, who called the students to wear a coat before they went off to class. But, her curiosity to know what was happening, overtook her, and she wandered even deeper into the unknown.

A flash of green light shone from an abandoned classroom further down. Laura ran as fast as she could to reach it. Her steps were fast but light as a feather, so that she wouldn't be heard.

She reached her destination, and saw the details of what the light was. It was a green and silver serpent, with white and silver sparks around it. From afar, Laura could only see the sparks, so that was why she was a bit impressed at how the serpent looked. When the lights went down, Laura focused on how the person who set off the sparks looked like.

It was a person with silver hair, wearing a black robe that reached to his ankles. Since the person's back was towards the girl and the room was too dark for her to see, Laura couldn't see anything else. Realising that she was already thirty minutes late, she clutched her books, and ran as fast as she could towards the potions classroom.

"Ah! Sakuraba! You're here! I hope that Forte doesn't torture you that much! Now, we're talking about different kinds of potions. Flip to page thirty-three in your textbook, please." Professor Slughorn greeted her. Luckily for Laura, she wasn't scolded or found suspicious. She sat down next to her Gryffindor pal, Aine Yūki, who had saved a seat for her.

Laura couldn't concentrate. The scenery she just saw was too... fascinating (?). She certainly wanted to do magic like that, but something about what she had seen didn't sound right. Why do magic in such a remote, distant place?

Laura stoped thinking for a while, as the Professor ordered them to start making a basic potion they were learning about.

"Saotome! What a great masterpiece you've made! No wonder you're the pride of Slytherin house!" Came clapping noises from Professor Slughorn around fifteen minutes later. Ako proudly beamed at him. "I'm sure that you'll ace the exam this year, Ako!" Yume grinned and gave her a high-five.