Chapter XLVI

The past days passed by in a blur for Subaru, who was swept into the whirlwind of preparing for the O.W.L. public exams on top of regular lessons. Every day was the same cycle of waking up even before the crack of dawn to attend extra classes, then having normal classes after eating breakfast. He chose to stay behind for a few more extra classes and night study sessions, and dragging his weary self back home for a few hours of sleep before he would have to be up and ready for a new day. Even on the weekends, he would be seen studying in the library from the early morning until it was time for dinner.

He knew he had missed a few days of class in coma after being stunned by Rei's spell, and he was not as intelligent as the people around him, so he studied as hard as he could despite still recovering from it. He wanted to do the best he could to make his parents and teachers proud of him and to study the subjects he wanted for his N.E.W.Ts. However, the time he got to meet Yume for anything longer than mere minutes were few and far between.

During his recovery period, Subaru had thought deeply about his future career path, as he would have to choose his N.E.W.T subjects soon after taking the O.W.L.s, and having a clear direction for his future was very important for him to establish expectations and study goals. He knew he had wanted to be an Auror ever since he was a young boy, just like his father, but unfortunately he had strong competition. Nozomu and Hime were just some of the people who wanted the same job, and there were even rumours of Professor Flitwick recommending Kanata to become an Auror, so that he could maybe become the Minister of Magic if he worked there long enough. Subaru knew he was no match against his friend when it came to brainpower, though with hard work and determination, he was sure he would make the cut to Auror training just fine.

Rei and Marcus were arrested and interrogated by the school authority. Subaru did not remember all the details, but after admitting their wrongdoings, they were expelled from Hogwarts, put on trial and sentenced to house arrest for a number of crimes. The Cliffords have also agreed to pay the Saotomes a large sum of money to compensate for Marcus' treatment towards Ako. Well, Subaru wasn't buying the idea of using money to solve problems, but the Saotomes were very pleased, claiming they would use the fees to pay for their daughter's tertiary education. Finally, with Rei out of the picture, seventh year Alicia Charlotte from Ravenclaw replaced Rei the Head Girl.

Parents were also allowed to visit their children during the first two weeks of March to check up on them and make sure they were safe. Subaru remembered how anxious he was when he introduced Yume to his parents for the first time in the Infirmary; those feelings disappeared as Yume won over his parents with her kind, optimistic and cheerful personality. Yume was also introduced to his cousin, Aine, and the two immediately got along with how similar they were in terms of personality and interests. His heart swelled at the thought of that.

The Kasumi's also came to visit their three children. In contrast to Subaru's family, Asahi did not introduce Koharu to his parents, for he said the parents had a lot of catching up to do, and did not want to shock them with the news of him dating the daughter of their business rivals.

Koharu and Asahi were doing well. While the other members of M4 were preparing for their O.W.L.s, Asahi took Koharu on dates around the castle, often ending up in his room. Apparently, his roommate, Sena, had sneaked his own Wi-Fi router with him that had no restrictions to Muggle websites at all. Sena's father, a Muggle, worked at large tech company, and had sent it in a box by owl post without inspection so that his son can relax by playing video games after a long day at school. Sena, knowing Asahi would never rat on him, was willing to share the WiFi upon Koharu's request. The girl introduced Asahi to Muggle culture, often watching Netflix or Disney Plus together. Asahi even learnt a few French phrases from spending too much time with her, and he couldn't wait to surprise his family with what he'd learnt at a later date.