Chapter IX

Mid September, 2019

"I'm so exhausted!" Exclaimed Yume Nijino as she raced down the stairs, heading towards the Quidditch pitch with Koharu Nanakura and Kirara Hanazono in order to witness Aria Futaba's Quidditch trials.

Aria's house, Ravenclaw, was the only house which had not done their Quidditch trials. The rest of the four Hogwarts houses did so almost after school started. Aria Futaba was participating in the auditions mainly because of her infatuation with the Chuddley Cannons, but she also wanted to fly through the skies with her broomstick.

Yume grinned at Aria mischievously as she spotted her struggling to put on her protective gear - poor Aria was too thin for a first year. Yume, of course, was happy with her auditions. She was selected to play as a beater due to her experience playing for her county's volleyball team. However, her best friend, Ako Saotome, did not get picked for the chaser position, and she had been extremely depressed because of it.

"Is Ako coming?" Asked Koharu nervously as they settled down near the Quidditch pitch. "I'm afraid she's gonna be unhappy again because Aria's trying out for chaser too."

Well, Koharu was partly right. Ako herself had wanted to be a chaser. However, due to her lack of experience playing Quidditch, the girl was instead chosen as one of Yozora's Cheerleading Team members. Ever since a video of Muggle students cheerleading loudly in a sports stadium went viral on Weizard five years ago, Hogwarts' students begged Minerva McGonagall to set up a cheerleading team for each house just like British Muggle secondary schools. The Slytherins won every year, and so Ako had great confidence in Tsubasa's choice — it was Tsubasa whom suggested her to audition for the cheerleading team.

"Starting, isn't it?" Ako questioned, pointing at Aria as she arrived. Koharu nodded. "Hurry up and sit down." She told Ako. "You definitely don't wanna miss this out!"

Ako smirked at her ever-anxious friend. "I wouldn't miss this for the world, of course! It's Aria's tryout. Considering that I was almost a Ravenclaw, I gotta cheer her on!"

"I'm getting a little nervous!" Exclaimed Kirara. "What if she doesn't get in?"

Yume grabbed the latter's hands and squeezed it, "I believe in Aria, she can do it! Even if she doesn't make this year, she definitely make it next year! She has talent, ya know."

Koharu's eyes sparkled. "Of course Yume!"

"Everyone, listen up!"

The students sitting on the sidelines hushed as the team captain made his way towards the centre of the pitch. In one hand, was the newest Nimbus broomstick, and the other was a box. "I'm Kanata Kira, a fifth year in M4 and I'm the team captain this year."

"We will be playing a practice match today as our tryouts." The boy began, his bright emerald eyes roaming across the spectator area. Where is she? She should be here. I told Aria to bring her friends too. The way Aria looked at her... They had to be good friends, right?

"I'll be on my broom, overseeing everything." The boy continued. "As I remind you once more, this is just a practice match. We need to keep it clean." He paused for a moment, then acknowledged the crowd. "And for our audience, don't cheer too hard under the Saturday sun. I don't want someone to faint like last year."  

The majority of students also gushed over the boy's looks. Ako Saotome's eyes followed their gaze and found Kira's appealing face vaguely familiar. His pale skin, tousled hazel-brown hair, green eyes and white spectacles... Where had she met him before?

Her eyes trailed towards his lips. Hey, you shouldn't think like that, Ako. You're only ten. A voice inside her mind told her, and so she focused back on Aria's trial.

"Everyone, mount your brooms!"

***

Why don't you remember me?

Why don't you remember me, my Little Princess?

Kanata had loved her, Ako Saotome, ever since she was still a young girl. And now, he felt himself falling in love with her all over again.

Why can't you remember me? We used to be friends... Well, sorta...

"I had looked everywhere for you, love." He whispered. "I'll prove to them that marriage isn't about money. Marriage exists because of love."

He shook his head, feeling despondent. Get a grip, Kira. Focus on the trials for now. She'll never like you now. She doesn't remember who you are, a voice inside his head told him.

"But I'll try."

***

"You did your best, Aria! Try again next year! You'll make it for sure, just like Ako!"

Kirara agreed. "At least Sakuya from the cheerleading team saw potential from you!" She said. "You're now a cheerleader!"

Aria grinned and nodded, "I've gotta put away the gear in the changing room."

"We'll come with you." Yume said.

Together the quintet walked towards the changing room. Sharing small talk between each other, they bumped into someone before entering.

"Futaba is that you?"

Aria looked up. "How can I help you, Captain?"

"Good work today. You are good, but there are just some people that performed better than you today. Promise me you'll practice and hone your skills. Next year you'll definitely make the team." Kanata turned and looked at the rest of the girls. His eyes rested on the redhead, "You," he pointed at her.

"I want you."

Ako turned red and sputtered, "M-Me!?!" She said pointing at herself.

"Yes, you." He said, then turned to the others. "You guys head on in. I'll talk to her."

Yume flashed Ako a confused look before following the others. What the heck is he talking about? Ako thought as Aria shot her a knowing look, like she knew what had happened.

"What do you mean by I want you?" Ako asked, crossing her arms together.

"I mean exactly what I'm saying. Don't you remember me?" Kanata replied, leaning against the wall behind him.

Ako pouted. "Well, I don't remember you. I've met a lot of people before."

Unfaltering, Kanata approached Ako and lifted her chin. Ako froze and stared into those brilliant green eyes. He leaned closer pausing when their noses brushed against each other, giving the girl some time to back away. Ako was frozen. She couldn't move and watched Kanata lean even closer, closing his eyes. Until—

"Ako!" Yume interrupted. The two immediately jumped away from each other. A puzzled expression was visible on her face. Ako shook her head fiercely, while Kanata backed away and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his robe.

"Oh that's good. God, I'm starving! Ako, let's go each some snacks!"

"O-of course Yume. Let's just wait for the others first." Ako replied, still red.

Kanata shook his head as he walked past Ako. The redhead looked up at him as he slipped a piece of paper in her robe. 'Library tomorrow', he mouthed, then winked at her.

What the heck was he thinking about?

Ako Saotome didn't know.

***

Good day, readers! Hope you've enjoyed this chapter! Please give it a lil' vote before you leave - it means a lot to us!