Chapter XXXVII

"I'm sorry, Ako."

"I'm sorry for lying to you."

***

The girl's eyes were full of tears. "Don't be sorry, Kanata— wait, what?"

"It's not that I don't love you anymore, kitty. It's that I've been lying to you about my health condition."

"Health condition?" She repeated slowly, an anxious expression clearly shown. Not wanting to let others know about his deepest secret, he pulled her away towards the nearest classroom. Since the whole school was gathering in the Great Hall until some of them left to find Rei Kizeki, there was nobody found in the classroom. 

Kanata sighed. "I don't want you to leave me since it's a rare and strange illness, but I want to tell you the truth. Here goes." He took in a deep breath, and held her hand tight. "The thing is, I don't have autism, but dissociative identity disorder."

"What disorder?" 

"Dissociative identity disorder. Most people call it multiple personality disorder. It's difficult to explain it to you, but I have two different, separate identities. These personalities control my behavior at different times, and each identity has its own personal history, traits, likes and dislikes. My DID can lead to gaps in memory and hallucinations. You may have guessed it since one time I said I like ginger cats, and then another, I told you I prefer white ones." He explained, then added. 

"Most people who have DID end up in mental hospitals for therapy, and I visit mine for check-ups once every two months. However, in order to make an excuse for my 'medical leaves', I lied to Nozomu, my roommate, and told him I had autism, so I had to go see the doctors'. Soon, the whole school knew of it, but I was not bullied nor looked down upon. In fact, my schoolmates and all the staff treated me just like a normal person. Even the headmistress doesn't know the truth, and I would like to keep this a secret from her, but my parents and my therapist do." 

His thumb softly grazed her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Ako. I don't want you to leave me just because of this. You'll forgive me, right?"

Ako frowned. "I've read books about it. I know what it is, but why do you have it?"

He sighed. "I was bullied during my first year at Hogwarts. The older kids were jealous of my grades and told me I wasn't good enough. Well, physically good enough, as I was short and looked malnourished at that time. Feeling really down that nobody cared for me, my alternative identity gradually formed and slowly, I got used to switching in between with nobody knowing about it. I became popular at school thanks to my alternate character, and I used my knowledge to gain my current academic success. I guess I'm lucky, 'cause none of the professors, not even Karen Kamishiro, noticed it." 

"Of course, I understand you would be thinking of our love. Once again, I love you, kitty. How does one not fall for you? You have to understand, that although  our parents hate each other, I will still love you the same." He planted a soft kiss on her cheek, and turned to her lips, but she pushed him away.

"I wanna know more." She pouted. "You switch without people knowing, right? I wanna know when you switch without you actually telling me. You know, Kanata, when we are in public, you can't just tell me you've switched and so, because people will find out. I won't tell it to anyone else, of course, but I want to know when." She said.

"You can tell us apart, I think, by the way we speak and do things." He explained. "I don't really know, because I don't communicate with him often. My doctor, though, has said my alternate self likes flirting and showing off in front of members of the opposite sex. Um... He likes to work out and sleep with girls while I don't, and it's often him who plays Quidditch for me and my house. A habit of his is finger-combing his hair, which I don't really approve but since you girls like it, I let it slide for the time being."

"The real me, likes you, Ako, and I have to admit my alternate self has helped me in pursuing you." He continued, gripping her hand tighter. "I bought you your favourite flowers, and he gave them to you. Don't worry though, love, because I'm one hundred percent sure it was I who kissed those soft, delicious lips of yours." He grinned.

The redhead glared in dissatisfaction. "You now sound like Marcus Clifford, a-k-a someone I hate." She groaned hopelessly. 

"Speaking of him, I'm sure I'll be a much better boyfriend than Marcus. I promise I will." 

She looked up at him, smiling. "I know you will. I love you, no matter what. I'll try speaking to my parents about us later, when I meet them." 

"Okay, but do make it quick. I can't believe I lasted more than an entire month without you." 

He crushed his lips to hers, and she gasped. However, she opened for him, kissing him back. Soon, his lips began trailing down her neck. 

"Not here..." She whined. 

"I had to do it here." He said, breaking away. He clutched her face between his hands. "You're really pretty, kitty. I'd like to see you with your hair down more often, because I love this hairstyle of yours." 

Ako frowned. "I rarely do so. But nevertheless, I will try." She used her fingers and pointed to his hands. "Why are you gripping me that tight?" She asked. 

"I never want to let you go."

The young man then took out a box and an envelope from his robe pocket. "We need to go help Aria and the others. They need us." He gestured at the velvet-coloured package, and pecked her soft, blushing cheeks. "Put this inside your pocket, and read it later."

He lowered his head closer. "Read it when the battle is over. When we have won the battle against evil."

*** 

Hello~

You may have noticed Kanata's two distinct personalities in earlier chapters - one chapter he's flirting with Ako, feeling very confident that he'll win her love, and in another, he's crying over her because he thinks he's not good enough to be hers yet. 

This took us a longer time due to researching and phrasing our word choices so it will be easier to read. Therefore, we hope you enjoy it~