Chapter XXXVI

21st February 2020

"I have gathered you all here," began the headmistress. "Is because I have something to tell you." Her face was one of concern. Ever since her trusty team of ten (or nine) told her of their findings, she was flabbergasted. She would have never suspect the school's head girl to do such a thing as poisoning another student, not to mention said girl with silver blonde hair was actually of Malfoy descent, a secret the headmistress did not even question for seventeen years.

How could this be? Her most favourite student, the one she herself nominated for head girl, betraying her schoolmates? According to the prophecy, she would also betray the entire school in order to take revenge for her family, the Malfoys.

Minerva McGonagall had been though the first and the second Wizarding War. She knew how horrible they were, and did not want this new generation of wizards and witches, patiently waiting for her to continue the speech, to experience such a horrible and terrifying thing as war.

She might have allies beside her in Hogwarts, sitting in this very hall, right now.

"In September," she began reading from the piece of parchment tightly gripped on her hand, "I have received a prophecy. According to the prophecy, a descendant of the Malfoy family will 'rise and fulfil his or her destiny."

The students' curiosity was at their peak. Mutters of 'who?', 'what?' and 'why?' filled the Great Hall. Giving her students a smile, the headmistress proceeded.

"In September, I had asked a team of ten students, all coming from different classes and houses, to help me investigate who the mysterious person was. One of them, was Kanata Kira. I'm sure every person here knows what happened to this year's highest achieving student."

The crowd went silent. Of course they knew everything about Kanata Kira.

"He was poisoned, was he not?" Spoke Emma Hinata, a brave, daring second-year from Gryffindor House. "It was all over the newspapers two weeks ago. People think it's either done by the Nikaidos or the Saotomes."

Gossips circulated around the hall once more. "Of course I did not poison him!" Yuzu Niakaido shouted back, as students, mostly Kanata's admirers, began giving her strange, furious gazes. Sitting down with poise and grace on her shared bench just like any other student, Ako Saotome tried her best not to laugh. It was, to the members of McGonagall's quest, that it was not her family whom poisoned her lover. Nor was it the Nikaidos, despite their feud.

The headmistress shook her head. "He was not. What truly happened then?" She paused for a while, for the students to freely whisper their thoughts to the ones next to them. "Perhaps," she said, silencing the crowd. "We will not know the answer."

She was quick to continue, "Unlike Muggle schools, we do not have cameras around the school. However, we have witnesses. Maybe, we should ask the victim himself, to tell us what happened that day."

"What?" 

Echoed students around the room.

***

"K-Kanata..."

Ako Saotome wondered how could she be able to resist screaming his name aloud when she saw his tall, lean figure walking down the hall, a smirk forming on his face when he noticed her gaze.

She wanted to cry tears of joy by just looking at him.

She wanted to be in his arms, but she couldn't. The redhead would be doomed, since there were other people watching.

And now, she had to sit down on her bench, pretend she didn't know anything, and just stare at his immaculate features for she-doesn't-know-how-long. She wished for it to end. She wished the torture would end.

"Good morning, Professor McGonagall, Professors, and my fellow schoolmates..."

Said girl could not stop gazing at his face although she was supposed to listen instead of look. How she has missed seeing him. The ever-familiar green eyes hid by his white spectacles. Perhaps she was the only person whom noticed his change of glasses - the frame was different now, and she thought it fitted him better.

"Before my coma, I had actually thought of taking suicide." His words slowly brought the girl back to reality. "Why? That wasn't the point."

"I planned to jump down from an abandoned classroom, and back then, I had no regrets. While I was enjoying the last sunset I'd ever see on this planet, someone offered me a drink. A can of butterbeer, to be exact. That person seemed to be kind and understanding, so I told her everything, from my regrets to why I was planning to commit suicide, which I won't be telling you all due to privacy reasons. Just as I was about to jump out of the classroom's window, I went unconscious, and the rest was history."

He closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath. This was it. The moment when he would expose Rei Kizeki for her evil deeds.  "Later when I regained my health, I asked my doctors the reason why. They revealed their findings - the can of butterbeer was poisoned, and I had to go through numerous operations before my life was saved." He paused, his eyes twinkling as he noticed his love. 

"Who was that person, then? Who can do such thing as harming a fellow student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? Well, I'll tell you the answer." He noticed that except for the gang of nine down there, other students were busy scanning the room for their possible suspects. Although most students had different nominations, all the 'candidates' shared the same specialty - being exceptionally gifted in Potions. 

Kanata did not blame his schoolmates. He was not looking for trouble, nor was he looking for others' sympathy. The only thing he wanted was the truth. He trusted Rei, and ever since he arrived at Hogwarts four years ago, he had been looking up to the older girl as how model students were supposed to behave, before he became a model student himself. Through Tsubasa, their mutual friend, they had bonded quite well over the past three years or so, until Ako Saotome's re-appearence.  

"Rei Kizeki." The name echoed throughout the Great Hall. "Now that I'm fully well, explain yourself." 

Mio Minato, a first-year from Slytherin House, stood up and said, "How can she explain when she isn't seated here in the Great Hall?"

The word 'what' was the only thing Professor Minerva McGonagall could manage to say. 

"Subaru! Yume! Asahi! Laura! Aria! Mahiru! Search the campus!" Exclaimed Karen Kamishiro. "Sakuya, Kaguya, Ichigo and Aoi go too!" She gestured at the four girls seated closest to the teacher's table. 

And as the students quickly began their chit-chat, Kanata raced down the steps and flung his love into a tight hug.

"I'm sorry, Ako."

***

There are a thousand words of gratitude we wanna say to you readers - we love you guys!