Chapter XVII

From the entrance of the courtyard, Mahiru stomped over to the group of nine. "I give up!" She protested slumping down next to Ako, her fellow roommate. "I've been following Yurika for the past week and I've found nothing! I need a break." Her eyes flared as she crossed her arms. The girl was a very impatient person. She didn't like to wait. She wanted to achieve her goals as soon as possible. Of course she believed in hard work, but she wanted to do things once and for all, not by doing things step by step.

The red-head looked at her with sympathy and understanding at the same time. "I've been looking in books too, but nothing much came up," she said. 

The group exchanged glances with each other before letting out a defeated sigh. They laid down on the grass and looked up at the sky. "Maybe we missed a few things," Yume suggest, raising her hand up, tracing the clouds. "I wonder how little the clues could be. We must find out clues quick, or else McGonagall and the other professors are gonna get mad. They depend on the ten of us to save the world, after all." 

Ako looked at the trees nearby on the courtyard. "Actually, now that you mention it... There was a name along the lines of... Valeria. Quite a rare name, right?"

"Valerie." Kanata corrected the Slytherin, he closed his eyes and felt the wind creeping past his face. Opening them again, and staring at his lover's face, he sighed. 

"Someone with the name 'Valerie' is part of the Malfoy family tree. We looked through multiple books and the name showed up in every single one. But there wasn't a single picture or a surname. Therefore, we don't know is she related to the maternal or the paternal branch of the family. She might be a hidden Black or Greengrass or something like that, having blood related by the maternal side. And that would provide us a big clue to who she is."

"Ako also contacted her parents who worked in the Ministry, and they have also never heard of the name as well."

Ako hummed in agreement, "Kanata's right. My parents told me, that 'there isn't a person in the ministry named Valerie or Valeria, and there isn't a person in the ministry who has a daughter named that as well'. I've also tried searching the books in the Slytherin library, but it's a dead end."

The group went silent as they absorbed the new information. 

"By the way, what's Yurika been up to, Mahiru?" Laura asked, being curious about everything, as usual.

"Oh her?" Said girl replied sarcastically. "She's just been sneaking around here and there, brewing potions and taking care of her 'darling pet'! And that might look suspicious, but apparently she's been doing this ever since her first year. She loves potions, excels in potions, and Professor Slughorn loves her for that. She keeps a bat as a pet and it frightens me a lot with the sound the annoying thing makes." Mahiru rolled her eyes, "I don't understand that girl."

"Poor you," Aria replied sending sympathetic looks to the youngest Kasumi.

"I don't need your sympathy," said girl replied cooly.

"You know how we also suspect Rei?" Laura commented. Everyone hummed in full agreement. "I've been trailing her a little bit, but everything seems normal. Just carrying on with discipline duties and talking to some other few big girls her age."

"Who was she hanging out with?" Koharu asked, twirling a strand of hair. 

"She sipped afternoon tea with Yozora and Tsubasa yesterday, and she was chatting with Yozora the day before." Laura closed her eyes. "Then, she went on with a meeting with all the Slytherin prefects."

Aria nudged the Gryffindor, "What were they talking about? It's a little suspicious because all of them belong to the same house."

Laura looked around and lowered her voice. "They were gossiping about boys, of all topics. I thought head prefects are all perfect and all, but blimey, I've never thought even prefects would fancy Kanata here, of all people. Apparently, they were planning to set Rei up on a date with Kanata." The pink head's voice gets louder with each word, "Tsubasa was giggling the whole time, and—"