Epilogue (Part 3)

April, 2021

Nozomu dreamily admired Aria from afar as he watched her swaying gracefully to the breeze. The sun was shining brightly, and the birds were chirping sweet songs of spring. The trees surrounding her seemed to welcome her presence as they grew taller and broader. He watched as she knelt, brushing a hand over the flowerbeds, eyes growing in amazement as the flowers became brighter. She giggled and twirled back to Nozomu, picking the picnic blanket out of his hands and laying it out on the grass. 

Nozomu made his way over and sat next to Aria, placing down the picnic basket. The couple decided to spend an afternoon together during the Easter holidays in a park near London. Aria, who had been looking forward to this day since the holidays begun, had packed a delicious spread of homemade cupcakes, sandwiches, fruits, and sparkling water to share.

Once everything was set up, she delicately stretched out on the blanket and patted the empty spot next to her. Nozomu beamed and approached her, not before taking out a camera and capturing the moment. Aria blushed, quickly covering his hand, and pulled him down next to her. Together, they glanced at the new photo and marvelled at the beautiful scenery. 

"Wow," she murmured, her finger tracing the image. "Look at how the grass contradicts the blue sky. And the flowers are beautiful too."

Nozomu hummed in agreement, "The only flower I see in the picture is you, my princess." Aria giggled at the response and softly slapped him in the arm. "That's very sweet of you, prince charming."

The last golden rays of the setting sun danced across the still waters of the lake, casting a warm glow over the picturesque scene. The couple strolled hand-in-hand down the cobblestone path leading to the boat house, the sound of laughter from other people around them drifting through the air.

"I can't believe you've never been on a swan boat ride before," Aria remarked, giving Nozomu's hand an affectionate squeeze. "It's one of my favourite things to do. My mother's from Italy, but my grandmother, my dad's mother is of Finnish descent, and I used to spend parts of my childhood in Finland. When I was growing up, we'd always take a trip to the pond near my grandparents' house to go for swan boat rides. It was one of my favourite parts of visiting them. I remember seeing the most beautiful 'swans' floating around. Of course, seven year-old me thought swans were as big as horses and were rideable; only when I ventured closer did I notice they weren't actually 'swans', but boats resembling them."

Nozomu chuckled warmly at her story, the image of a young, wide-eyed her mistaking the swan boats for real swans bringing a smile to his face.

"That's such a wonderful memory," he said, his thumb gently caressing the back of her hand. "I can just picture a little you, full of wonder and excitement, getting up close to those 'giant swans'."

Aria chucked. "I think child me just thinks there's just something so whimsical and romantic about gliding across the water in a giant swan-shaped boat. There was something so peaceful and enchanting about it. The gentle rocking of the boat, the graceful swans all around us... it always felt like stepping into a fairy tale."

As they approached the end of the dock, Nozomu could see the large, white swan-shaped boats floated serenely, their elegant necks arched gracefully. He guided Aria into one of the boats, helping her settle into the plush, cushioned seat before grabbing the long, wooden pole and pushing off from the pier. He steered the boat in a gentle arc, the smooth motion causing it to sway softly back and forth.

"Wow, look at the view," She breathed, gazing out at the shimmering lake surrounded by lush greenery, taking photos of the scenery. "It's absolutely beautiful out here." 

"Do you want me to take some photos for your Instagram or something?"

"Sure," Aria declared, handing her phone to Nozomu. "I want some shots of my side profile too, let me fix my hair first."

He chuckled, taking the phone. "As you wish, my lady," he said with a playful wink. Nozomu started snapping photos as Aria gracefully posed, sometimes paddling  the swan-shaped boat, sometimes pretending to look at other swan boats filled with happy couples, her movements fluid and confident as she switched poses. The golden sunlight cast a soft glow on her features, accentuating her radiant smile and elegant face.

"Stunning," he declared, lowering the device and drinking in the sight of her. "Absolutely breathtaking." He raised her phone once more, snapping several pictures of Aria as she gently leaned back, her eyes closed, her hair dancing in the gentle breeze and a look of pure joy on her face, smiling.

"Wow, you're a natural at this," Nozomu remarked, his gaze filled with admiration. "It's like you were born to model."

Aria giggled, her eyes twinkling with delight. "Well, I did have a lot of practice as a child with my mom," she teased, guiding the boat in a gentle arc. "She's a keen photographer, especially when it came to taking pictures and videos of her only child."

He continued capturing the moment, framing shots that highlighted Aria's joy and the serene beauty of the lake. He couldn't help but marvel at how perfectly she seemed to fit into the artistic scene, like a living embodiment of the fairy tale she had described.

"Okay, now let's get some of you looking down at the lake; and after that, maybe some teasing, natural ones with your arms stretched," he suggested, scooting closer to her.

She obliged, steering the vessel closer to the graceful white birds gliding across the water. Alex leaned in, angling the camera to get the best shots of her, the swans, and the stunning natural backdrop all at once. "These are going to be incredible," he murmured, his gaze repeatedly drawn to the beautiful young woman before him.

Aria beamed, her heart swelling with happiness as she looked through the photos, reaching out to affectionately squeeze his hand. "I can't wait to post them on Instagram and flaunt my boyfriend's amazing photography skills."

"You flatter me, Aria, you flatter me."

"Your turn now."

She moved around the small boat, capturing him from different angles -- standing tall with the wind ruffling his hair, leaning down to skim his fingers through the cool water, and gazing out at the serene landscape with a peaceful expression.

"These are going to be amazing," she said excitedly, quickly reviewing the photos. "You look as if you were in your element, like you belong here, with the lovely scenery around you."

She snapped a few shots again, this time, with her polaroid camera, the soft click of the camera blending with the gentle lapping of the water against the boat.

"Ooh, those look great!" she exclaimed, quickly flipping through the instant photos. "The lighting is so golden and romantic, and of course, your handsome face elevates the photo quality as always."

Nozomu then leaned in closer, wrapping an arm around her waist as her held the phone out in front of them. "Alright, time to test my... wait what's the Muggle word again... ah! selfie, skills." He announced with a grin. "Let's take some selfies together before the sun fully sets."

They posed together, Aria's head resting on Nozomu's shoulder as they both beamed, the setting sun casting a warm glow over the scene.

"Perfect," Aria declared, admiring the result. "I don't even need to put extra filters on these ones. They're are going to make my friends and followers so jealous."

"Hey, as long as you don't forget about me when you become Insta-famous," Nozomu teased, pressing a playful kiss to her cheek. "You haven't posted in ages. Imagine this, the first thing you see in the Muggle magazines as you turn on your phone tomorrow: 'Daughter of Italian pianist Alicia Antonelli Alberta has grown up! Aria Futaba's face is so perfect that it seems edited and leaves netizens in awe."

"That's enough, dear." Aria blushed, her heart fluttering at the warmth and adoration in his gaze. 

"I love you," she murmured, resting her forehead against his.

"I love you too," Nozomu whispered, his arms encircling her as they savoured the intimate moment, surrounded by the serene beauty of the swan-filled lake.

***

Final epilogue coming right up!!