Chapter VII

"First years over here!"

Moonlight spilled over the vast loch, gleaming over the land of Britannia. The first-year students climbed into small, wooden boats which magically floated across the water, leading them to their destination — Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Yume Nijino and her fellow first-years were lead to a small chamber where they tidied their uniforms and prepared for their sorting ceremony while the older students took their seats in the Great hall. The four tables, each representing Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, were filled with excited seniors chatting and giggling until the headmistress arrived with the rest of the teaching faculty.

"Good evening, everyone." Minerva McGonagall inclined her head respectfully towards fellow staff and students. "To second-years and above, welcome back to another exciting year at Hogwarts. To all our new, first-year students, I, on behalf of the whole school, sincerely welcome you all to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I wish you all to make some good memories during your time as a Hogwarts student.

Before we begin our sorting ceremony, please be reminded that Muggle smartwatches are not allowed in this school, and so are non Ministry-approved computers and tablets, since we will have school devices for you, one tablet each, provided by the Ministry of Magic so that you can do your homework and research. All students can apply for keeping a personal Muggle mobile phone, to contact your parents, but there should no Muggle browsing sites such as Google or Safari. Instead, you should use Wizardnet or Wahoo.

Muggle social media, such as Twitter and Instagram, are banned in our school. Of course, you are allowed to set up an account and chat with other wizards using WizTome and Weizard. All phones should be checked once per week by heads of house, for fifth years and up, and once a month for lower forms. There will be a Ministry-approved software which can check all your browsing data and apps if your phone has been registered into the system. All new phones used by second-years and up should be handed to your heads of house immediately after the sorting ceremony for registering. First-years will have their phones taken away tomorrow instead.

Please also be informed that your Hogwarts Classroom account will lock you from joining classes on the fifth of September. For fifth-years and seventh-years, your additional classroom for drilling exercise, Quizmodo, will lock its class code on the third, so please hurry up and join your classes. For first-years, the Hogwarts technician has already done everything for you so don't worry.

Please be reminded that slacking on Owllet, our online quiz and homework platform, will lead you to detention."

The speech continued for a further five minutes. Yume and Koharu yawned loudly. "When can this boring thing end?" Yume hissed to her best friend.

Ako Saotome was not pleased with what Yume said. "Well, according to my mental database, this speech will end in less than a minute, so shut up."

And she was right. Less than thirty seconds later, the headmistress bowed and returned to her seat. The sorting ceremony began.

The sorting hat, as usual, sang a song to mark the occasion, which took around three to four minutes. However, the first-years, whom the song was sung for, weren't really listening to it.

"Hope I'll get into Ravenclaw. Hope I'll get into Ravenclaw..."

Yume smirked as Ako and Aria began chanting so that they can be accepted into the houses of their choice. Yume wanted to do something. She had never seen Ako behave like that before. "It's okay, Ako. You'll be fine. You'll be in Ravenclaw for sure, with your brains and talent." She comforted her best friend, and turned to Aria. "I'm sure you'll be accepted, too. Don't be afraid. I think the Sorting Hat will listen to you."