Chapter 41: Donut Run

Equus POV:

I leaped over logs and kicked up clunks of grass. My horse hooves barely made a sound in the soft path. It took me a few minutes to exit the forest and enter back into the sunny expanse of camp. I skidded to a stop and quickly tried to remember where the stables were. Then I set off to the right, running full speed. I soon came across the wooden structure and shifted back into my human form.

I silently opened and closed the door, trying not to alert too many horses of my presence. Unfortunately, that was useless. As soon as the door latched, the pegasi bombarded my mind with greetings and bows. I smiled uneasily and waved at them.

I walked through the stables, my legs going on autopilot to my familiar horse's stall. I paused and looked to my right; there, laying down in a pile of hay in his stall, was Blackjack. I went up to his stall door and leaned over the wood, watching him.

"Hey Blackjack, how've you been?" his head snapped up, and he flapped his wings, standing up.

Woah, it's me! That's insane! I scoffed and slid my mask to the left, still covering my face if you were to walk in. "Try again bud."

Oh, hey boss. Got any donuts? Where've you been? He seemed utterly unphased by the whole mask thing, but I just shrugged. "No, I don't, and space." He let out a whinny and shook his mane, laughing a horsey laugh.

Only you boss, only you. I sighed and nodded, accepting my terrible luck. Then I unlatched Blackjack's door and opened it for him.

"Wanna go get those donuts? "I asked, and as fast as I could blink, Blackjack was out of his stall and outside the stables, shouting at me to hurry up. I chuckled and promised the remaining pegasi some donuts when we got back.

I hoisted myself up onto Blackjack and felt his form appear in my repertoire of shapes I could shift into. "Alright, since I haven't been here for five years, I trust you'll take us to a good donut shop" with that, Blackjack opened his wings and leaped into the air.

I felt the familiar feeling of wind rustling my hair and flapping my cloak behind me. I moved my mask to the front of my face so it didn't fall away. I felt Blackjack's wings flap as they strained to take us to our destination quicker. I patted his mane and closed my eyes at peace with one of my oldest friends.

Soon Blackjack made an improvised landing in the center of a busy sidewalk. Right in front of a small donut shop. Smiling, I dismounted and walked into the homey bakery. Don't forget to get both glaze and sugar!

I chuckled, and a bell above the door jingled, announcing my presence. The store was small, with only a few booths and chairs for customers. In the back was a large display case with a large assortment of both donuts and muffins. I walked up to the glass and looked at the donuts.

"Hello there, what can I get you?" a petite black-haired woman greeted as she smiled warmly at me.

"I'm going to get three dozen, one with six glaze and six sugar" I paused as she placed the donuts into the box. What kind would the other pegasi like? Maybe the same? I could just get an assortment and give the rest to camp.

"Um, sorry but I'm going to make the second dozen the same as the first" I looked sheepishly at her, but the lady merely waved me off and filled the next dozen with six glazes and six sugar.

"Ok, for the last one, do two chocolate bars, two maple bars, two chocolate with sprinkles, four blueberry with sprinkles," I paused and tried to count up the amount I just told her. That's ten. I need two more. "And let's do two sugar twists, thank you" I smiled at her as she placed the last two donuts in the box. The lady rang up the three dozen, and I handed her the appropriate cash. Then taking the bag of three dozen, I walked out of the store to an impatient pegasus.