Chapter 9: I'll Always Love You, Raphie

A fellow reader named NewYearsGirl suggested I write this. I'll give it a go, and I hope you enjoy it.

    One day, Mikey was playing one of his videogames when it suddenly paused as if it did it itself. Mikey was confused; he didn't even hit the pause button. Before he could check it out, however, a pair of arms wrapped around him, tickling him a bit. Mikey laughed before turning to see that it was Leo (having been the one to pause the game in the first place), who chuckled at the youngster's reaction. He and Donnie also loved Mikey as much as Raph did, but already knew about his deep friendship with Raph and were completely fine with it. "What is it, bro?" Mikey asked as he calmed down.

    "Master Splinter wants you in the dojo," replied Leo.

    Mikey's eyes widened. "Did I do something bad?" he asked.

    "Go see for yourself," Leo answered.

    Gulping nervously, Mikey headed for the dojo. Upon entering, he thought he couldn't see anyone, as the dojo was seemingly empty. However..."Come here, Michaelangelo."

    Mikey nearly jumped out of his shell in surprise as he quickly turned to see Splinter kneeling on the floor in front of him in a meditative stance. He approached him and got down on his knees, kneeling in front of the old master. "What is it, Sensei?" he asked. "Did I do something wrong?"

    Splinter smiled. "Not really," he said, his smiling faltering a bit. "I would like you to talk to Raphael."

    Now Mikey was getting confused. "Why?" he asked. "Couldn't you get Leo or maybe Donnie to talk to him or something?"

    "Because he is feeling distressed and depressed from, what I could guess, the events that have just happened recently," Splinter explained. "Leonardo and Donatello have already tried to talk to him, but have unfortunately been unsuccessful."

    Mikey's eyes widened a little; he never recalled Raph being upset. "And you want me to talk to him because why?" he asked.

    "Because maybe he'll open up to you," answered Splinter. "After all, you two are very close to one another-for as long as I can remember."

    Realizing that Splinter was right, Mikey agreed to talk to Raph. "Hai, Sensei," he said, bowing his head. "I'll give it a go."

    Leaving the dojo, he approached the bedrooms. After walking past Leo's and Donnie's rooms, he was passing Raph's room when he thought he heard something. Putting his ear to the door, he could certainly hear what sounded like someone crying. Worry filling his eyes, he opened the door and looked around the darkened room. Eventually, his eyes landed on a certain red-banded turtle who was sitting in a corner of the room with his knees drawn up to his chest. His face was buried in them and the way his shoulders shook indicated that he was indeed crying. Now with sadness piercing his own heart, Mikey quietly entered, shutting the door behind him. Approaching Raph slowly but quietly, he knelt down in front of him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Raphie?" he asked softly, hoping that he didn't scare him.

    Slowly, watery, green eyes, which were more red than green, looked up at beautiful, baby blues. "Mikey?" Raph sniffled out. "What're you doing here? I thought I said that I wanted to be left alone for a while."

    "I wanted to talk to you," replied Mikey, scooting closer. "Splinter told me what happened and said that I should help you."

    Raph blinked. "Why?" he asked.

    "Because you helped me before," Mikey answered as he leaned forward and nuzzled his forehead against Raph's. "Several times, in fact. Besides, you're my best friend, so I'd consider this a little brotherly payback."

    Raph chuckled a little as he recuperated the nuzzle, reaching out a hand to cup the back of Mikey's head and bring him in a little closer so that their beaks were touching, which Mikey accepted gratefully. They remained that way for sometime until Raph calmed down enough. Mikey respectfully pulled away but made sure that they kept eye contact with each other. "Whenever you're ready, Raphie," Mikey said. "Take your time."

    Raph took a deep breath before beginning. "I've been having these nightmares for a few months now," he said. "One way or another, they've been about my halucinations of cockroaches, getting my mutagen sucked out and turned into a plant, being mind-controlled by that stupid brainworm, etc. But the last one was worse: remember when I hit you all the time?"

    Mikey nodded, encouraging Raph to continue. "Well, my last nightmare was about you. We were fighting the Krang on the rooftops when I accidentally shoved you into the Krang's line of shot. I tried saving you the moment I saw what I had done, but by then, it was to late. You were shot several times. By the time I got to you, your last words were that you hated me because of all the times I mistreated and underestimated you. Even from all the times I hit you. Then you died." By then, tears were streaming down his face as he silently cried.

    Mikey's eyes widened. He'd never hate his brothers, especially his hero. Fortunately knowing what to do, he leaned forward again and wrapped his arms around Raph in a hug. He put the side of his head against Raph's and nuzzled him again. Raph gladly returned the embrace and recuperated the nuzzle again, the two purring against each other. "I'll always love you, Raphie," Mikey whispered, crawling into Raph's lap as he curled up closer, feeling Raph's tears run down his shell. "I could never hate you. You're my hero."

    Raph smiled at the answer and held him tighter, planting a kiss onto the side of Mikey's head. "Thank you, baby brother," he whispered back. "I feel much better. What would our lives be like without you?" He pulled Mikey back a bit so he could plant another kiss onto his beak.

    Mikey smiled back with a soft giggle and nuzzled back up against Raph one last time before becoming still. Raph sighed and leaned up against the wall's corner, tiredness catching up fast to him from the emotional moment. Standing, he picked up Mikey, who had fallen asleep against him, and carried him to bed. He laid down with the youngest turtle still purring on him and pulled the covers up over them both. Purring back against Mikey, he closed his eyes and fell asleep, his last thoughts being this: Thank you, Little Sunshine.
......................................................................................................
    Leo had, unbeknownst to Raph, been listening in the entire time on the other side of the door. Hearing everything go quiet, he waited sometime before finally opening the door. What he saw was enough to make him hurry to the lab and get Donnie. The smart turtle was working on one of his inventions when he heard Leo knocking on the door. Glancing in confusment at the doorway, Leo just pointed down the hall with a look that said, "You have to see this."

    Now even more bewildered than ever, Donnie followed Leo down the hall to where Raph's room was, Master Splinter having already arrived, looking in with fondness. Leo and Donnie peeked in and what they saw made their hearts melt-Raph was sleeping peacefully with his arms around Mikey, protecting him from the cruel world. The youngest was curled up to the older like a kitten, and at one point even mewled like one in his sleep. Smiling, Leo silently went over to Raph and barely touched his shoulder. It was enough for Raph to peek an eye open due to his ninja senses, though. When he saw that it was just Leo, he smiled lightly, causing Leo to smile back. Are you okay? he asked through sign language.

    I am now thanks to Mikey, Raph replied, also through sign language. Don't wake him up, though. Kid's pretty tired.

    Leo chuckled and gently rubbed Mikey's head. "Way to go, Mikey," he whispered. "Knew we could count on you."

    Mikey smiled in his sleep, letting out another mewl as he did so. Leo chuckled and silently walked out, followed by Donnie, but not before the smart turtle gave Raph a grateful pat on the shoulder. Raph fell back asleep just as Master Splinter approached. He gently placed a paw on the hothead's cheek, cupping it for a moment. "I hope you get better soon, Raphael," he said.

    Then, looking at Mikey, he smiled and cupped his face as well. "Well done, Michelangelo," he said. "We all knew you could get through to him, just like he got through to you."

   With this in mind, he got up and left the room, leaving the two purring brothers in peace.

    Here it is, NewYearsGirl. Thanks again for the idea.