Chapter 26: Mikey and Leatherhead (Sad Oneshot)

So a while back, lemonlimenskull18 requested a oneshot that I should do. Well, this is for you man. Enjoy. And P.S.-sorry if I made this too sad. Plus, as for everyone else, you might want to get tissues. And also, as a warning, I will advice you to skip this if you want, because it has blood involved.

    Ever since he helped him regain his trust after dealing with the Krang, Mikey and Leatherhead had become friends. This only got better after Mikey and his brothers saved the world from the black hole generator. They hung out with each other a lot, sometimes joining the turtles during patrol with the rest of the Mutanimals. In fact, Mikey was spending more time with the alligator and less time with his brothers nowadays. Not like the brothers, especially Raph, would admit it, but they couldn't help but feel a little jealous because the youngest wouldn't spend any time with them anymore. Which, to be honest to them, really wasn't fair at all. Why was Mikey seeing Leatherhead more often? There had to be a reason.
..............................................................................................................
    One day, Mikey went to visit Leatherhead as usual. Lately, the alligator hadn't been feeling well, so Mikey had decided to take some medicine with him whenever he visited. Just to make sure that he was taken care of. Nearing the place where he lived, he suddenly froze. From inside, he heard loud growling sounds. What was happening to Leatherhead? Now more confused, he decided to go and investigate. Going in, he saw an unnatural and rather frightening sight--Leatherhead was thrashing around like he was having a nightmare. "Leatherhead? You okay, dude?" he asked nervously.

    Leatherhead whipped his head around and gave Mikey a glare that he hardly ever gave him. At first, Mikey thought that it was from the tortured times the Krang gave him before they first met. But then, upon closer inspection, he saw it--foam leaking out of the alligator's mouth and feral, wild eyes. Rabies, he thought, eyes wide with horror.

    He heard about it before. Donnie once said that rabies is a disease that causes animals, no matter what they are, to go crazy and feral. Unfortunately, there was no medical cure for it. The only thing that could be done was killing it. Realizing this, fear and sadness filled Mikey's heart. He didn't want to kill his friend, but at the same time, he didn't want him to suffer anymore. Before he could make up his mind, Leatherhead gave him a slap with his huge hand, causing the orange-banded turtle to fly into the wall with a crash. This left him with one choice; as soon as Leatherhead flew at him with a roar, Mikey took out his kusanagi blade and, with his eyes closed with regret and whispering "I'm sorry, buddy.", plunged it into where his heart was.

    At that, blood sprayed, some getting on Mikey. Leatherhead roared with pain as he felt his heart get pierced and ripped out the kusanagi blade, throwing the weapon aside. Blood streaming down, he lunged at Mikey again only to be shoved away by Leo and Donnie with Raph heading towards the youngest, the three having tracked Mikey down via his shell phone. Leo and Donnie finished the job while Raph hugged Mikey close, pressing his face to his chest so that he couldn't see what was happening. He picked him up and started to run back to the lair. Feeling tired from what had happened to his friend and from having his head hit against the wall when he was thrown, Mikey passed out in Raph's arms.
..............................................................................................................
    When Mikey woke up, he found himself in the couch in the living room, a blanket wrapped around him. Raph was holding him in his lap, his arms around him as he slowly rocked him. Leo and Donnie, meanwhile, were sitting on opposite sides of them. Then, everything came back to Mikey. "He's dead, isn't he?" he asked.

    Donnie solemnly nodded. "It was definitely rabies," he said. "I did a check on him with my scanner and found out that he'd been like this for a few months. He's probably never told us. I've been wondering what was happening to my medicine."

    "Whoever gave him rabies in the first place, we don't know," Leo added. "But if it was for a few months, it's a miracle that he was able to hide it for that long. He's definitely one tough alligator."

    "And all this time, you were trying to help him and you never told us?" Raph asked.

    Mikey nodded. "I didn't tell you because I figured with some treatment, he'd be better. I just never thought it'd end like this," he admitted, burying his head into Raph's neck to hide the tears. "And I'm sorry I made you guys jealous. I just didn't realize what I was doing to you. It was so frightening, bros. And I was so scared. I was so scared." He began crying out of loss and fear as he finished.

    Raph hugged him even closer in return, shushing him gently. "We understand, bro," he said, "and it wasn't your fault. You had no idea that Leatherhead was acting that way, but you were there for him and taking care of him regardless, even when the consequences weren't as you hoped they would be. I'm sure he appreciated that one way or another. At least in the end, he had friends like us."

    Mikey just nodded, not having the strength to say anything. "We'll get through this, Little Sunshine," Raph added. "Together."

    A small "Thanks" was all he got as the youngest fell asleep from all the crying. Raph smiled and planted a kiss on his forehead before picking him up and taking him to his room for the night.

    It'll take sometime, but eventually, they'll move on. Because they have each other.

    Sorry if I made this sad and gory. Almost reminded me of my dog Buster's death. It wasn't from rabies though, it was old age that did him in. But still, losing a best friend, whether it be a pet or anything else, it's still sad. If you want me to write a happier oneshot next time, I'll gladly do so. Because something tells me people will definitely skip this one. Thanks, anyway, for requesting this, lemonliemenskull18. Sorry again if I made you cry at this. Same with everyone else.