Chapter 6: Protector

This oneshot is based off of the Season 2 and 7th episode "Slash and Destroy."

    Raph watched wide-eyed as Slash slammed an unconscious Mikey around into the ground mercilessly like a tennis ball. Then, the spiked turtle dragged the bruised and battered youngest to the edge of the building roof, ready to throw him off. The situation was worse because Slash was actually Raph's former pet turtle Spike. After wandering into some mutagen which turned him into the monster he was, long story short, everything went downhill. Fast. It was bad enough that Donnie was beaten up, but Mikey? It was almost 10x worse.

    Having been knocked over himself, Raph regained his senses in time to see Mikey, who was groaning in his unconscious state and maskless, getting dangled over the ground by Slash, who was ready to drop him. "Stop!" Raph growled, standing up. "I won't let you hurt him!"

    Slash turned to Raph. "I don't wanna fight you," he said.

    "But I want to fight you!" Raph said, gripping his sais as he approached him. "You're not Spike! You're just some sort of warped monster! A deranged, hideous FREAK!"

    At that, Slash dropped Mikey to the ground and let out an enraged roar as he charged at Raph as a fierce fight started between them. After a while, Slash threw a bruised Raph down onto the ground-right next to where Mikey was. Struggling, Raph crawled to Mikey and gathered him in his arms, pulling him into his lap. Seeing Slash getting ready to use his mace on them, Raph hugged a whimpering Mikey closer and closed his eyes, ready to take the harsh blow for his little brother and best friend. That pretty much showed how much Raph actually cared for his family, particularly Mikey. Even though he was a jerk most of the time due to his temper, it was Raph's duty to be the protector of only the team, but also the family as well. Even if it was Mikey in trouble.

    Before the fatal blow could be hit, Leo jumped in and kicked Slash away, fighting him himself. Raph took this opportunity to carry Mikey to where Donnie was and gently laid him down. "Raph?" Mikey whispered.

    "Don't worry, Mikey," Raph said gently. "Everything's gonna be okay."

    Turning towards the fight, Raph jumped in to help Leo and glared at Slash. "You see?" he said as he gripped his sais, his red mask tails flapping in the wind. "That's what real friends do: they stand up for each other. I'd rather be like my brothers than you anyday."

    Slash growled again as he stepped forward. "Was that a compliment?" a beat-up Mikey asked before passing out next to Donnie, who was also maskless.

    After a while, Raph and Leo had managed to hold their ground. Donnie and Mikey helped a little despite their conditions, only to get thrown aside. While Donnie had ended up with a broken arm, Mikey had hit his head on the roof during the fall and had passed out for good. But Slash had fallen off the building during the fight. Raph was grieved at the loss of his former pet, but pushed the grief aside long enough to help Leo up and recover Donnie's and Mikey's masks. "Felt like I got hit by Raph," Donnie quipped, limping forward. "But it was much bigger."

    Raph chuckled a bit as he headed over to Mikey, who laid unmoving on the roof. "Buddy?" he asked softly as he knelt down beside his best friend, placing a hand on his shoulder.

    Mikey stirred a little before barely opening his eyes. "R-Raphie?" he croaked, wincing at the pain in his head.

    "Right here, Little Sunshine," Raph said gently as he carefully picked up his baby brother, being careful of his head while using the nickname he'd given him when they were just kids. "I got you."

    Mikey smiled a little, blushing a bit at hearing his nickname before putting his head on Raph's chest and passing out again, this time in his arms. Raph smiled as he put his own head down and nuzzled it against his little brother. As the brothers finally headed home, Leo helped Donnie get down the building's fire escape to the nearest manhole cover while Raph took the responsibility in carrying Mikey home due to how bruised he was; the poor guy was more purple than green.
......................................................................................................
    At home, everyone soon got their injuries treated. Raph was sitting on the floor, staring at a leaf Spike used to chew when Splinter approached him. "He's still out there somewhere," said Raph.

    "Raphael, do you know what I do when I lose a loved one?" Splinter asked.

    Raph shook his head. "I focus on the friends I have in the present," Splinter replied.

    He then nodded towards Mikey, who had gotten diagnosed with a head concussion and was currently watching TV. "And it seems like he needs some company," he added.

    Raph nodded and thanked Splinter before heading towards the couch, plopping down next to Mikey. "Hey, buddy," he said.

    Mikey smiled as he turned to his older brother. "Hey bro," he said.

    "How's your head?" Raph asked, gesturing to the spot where the concussion was.

    "Still sore, but it'll get better eventually," Mikey replied, letting out a sad sigh a few seconds later. "I'm sorry about Spike, Raph."

    "It's okay, little brother," Raph said, wrapping his arms around him in a hug. "It's not your fault."

    Mikey sighed happily as he snuggled closer, grateful that his hero, his idol, had forgiven him. Then, he yawned and shivered from the cold in the lair and exhausted from the fight. Raph grabbed a nearby blanket and draped it around his best friend. "Go to sleep, buddy," he whispered.

    Mikey smiled back and closed his eyes, feeling warmth creep through him. Before completely drifting off, he felt Raph give him a kiss on the forehead.

    Raph made himself a promise that night: no matter what happens, he'll always protect his family. Especially Mikey.