1

The first thing to hit me was the pain in my head, almost clouded with pain and pressure. I open my eyes welcomed by candlelight all around. Where was I?

I sat up gripping my head feels like I'm hungover or something what happened? I tried to jog my thoughts tracing back to what happened  but nothing. It was like looking into a black bottomless hole.  Was I dead?

I place my hand over my heart feeling an increasingly rapid heart beat... okay I'm alive.
I unravel my self from the silky cream bed sheets the warm humid air of the room hugging my skin. A knock sounded on the big wooden door in front of me.
"Miss woods. Are you awake?"
At least I know my fucking name corelena woods?

Before I respond a young woman dressed head to toe in a grey maid attire steps in cautiously. I hadn't even realised the gown I was dressed in. Beautiful it was but so old had I like gone back in time?!
I run my hands over the lace white night gown over my body in awe.

"Sorry miss woods, mr langdon said you should be awake right now."
"What happened? Where am I? Who the fuck is langdon." She looked shocked by my cussing as she steps in closing the door.

"Sorry I didn't mean to be so abrasive I just have no idea what's going on." I sit up fully facing the girl.
"It's quite alright miss woods. Were in a sanctuary. An outpost the outside world is no longer a world to be lived. An apocalypse I believe mr langdon said you were effected by the blast. We have been here for only one night."

The outside world... images flush my memory. A big White House, trees, lakes, roads, cities. Gone?
"W-What the blast?"
"A nuclear blast miss woods. Everything is... destroyed. Those on the outside won't survive the radiation." Her face turned sour as she spoke.

"Why are we here? Who are you? Do you know anything about me I can't remember a thing I don't know why I'm here?" My breathing got shaky along with my voice my words came out in a panicked rush. She looked concerned as she approached perching on the end of my bed.

"Miss we have been selected to be here. I am just a maid, you are not. I wish I could help you but I am just as in the dark as you are unfortunately I know mr langdon knows a lot more he is the one who bought you here."

"Mr langdon?"
"Yes we work for him." As I mentioned his name she almost shuddered looking straight to the ground. This is giving me weird vibes. I tried to imagine the outside world, an apocalypse but my mind was so foggy.

I was so overwhelmed by all that was going on but also so underwhelmed I had no vision of who I was or what I had been doing.
I felt emotionless and completely numb like I was floating in space. Tears managed to brim my eyes even in my state of no emotion I'd rather be feeling something than this.

"Miss woods please don't be upset. I believe we will be okay mr langdon seems to know what he's doing this place has been prepared for years."
"I'm not even upset I just I don't know." I began fumbling with my hands noticing my rings. I wanted to remember something by glancing at them but nothing.

"Miss woods-"
"Please call me corelena. What's your name?"
"I'm not sure I'm supposed to..."
"Please I need some normality for 2 seconds."
"I'm Emma."
"It's nice to meet you Emma. So if I'm not a maid what does that make me a chef- cause fuck I don't think I remember recipes right now." I chuckled trying to take some weight of the conversation.

She smiles politely at me " no miss- uh corelena you are who I work for. You and mr langdon."
"I want to meet langdon."
"And you will it's 6pm so you will have dinner served in an hour with mr langdon I was ordered to help you get ready and wake up."

She stands up striding over to the big wooden wardrobe towering over her. I get up steadying myself on my feet following her. She reveals the case of dresses lined up. They were beautiful and dark the only spectrum of colours ranging from black to red. I almost gasped at the sight of them.