Chapter 45: I need a Job!!

It's now morning on Air Temple Island and breakfast is now being served to the airbender family and y/n. While they were eating they all wondered where their resident Avatar was.

Jinora: Hey where's Korra?

Tenzin: Hmm, yeah where is Korra?

Y/n: *mouth full* Shee twainin wih mhakol an bowlih.

They all look to y/n and couldn't understand what he said.

Pema: *scolding* Tian don't eat with your mouthful, we can't understand what you are saying.

Y/n then took a big gulp of his food and said.

Y/n: Sorry, i said that she went out training with Mako and Bolin

Pema: Who are Mako and Bolin?

Tenzin: They are Korra's new teammates on the pro-bending team that she is competing with in the tournament.

Pema: Oh

Ikki: Daddy could we go watch them during the next match?! Huh?! Can we?! Can we?! Can we?!

Tenzin: I'll think about it!

Ikki: Yay!

Y/n chuckled at the little chatter box's antics and went back to eating.

Pema: So Tian, what do you plan on doing while Korra is not around? You can't train forever now

Y/n: *stops eating* Well i was thinking of getting a job in the city. Back at the South Pole i worked as a fisherman to pass the time,  but i was thinking of getting another job here in the city to take up most of my time.

Tenzin: That's very good Tian, I'm very proud that you are thinking of your future and i wish you luck.

Y/n: Thank you Tenzin

Pema: Although, you might have some trouble finding a job though.

Jinora: Why's that mom?

Pema: Well most of the best jobs require benders to do most of the heavy lifting so it's rather difficult for non-benders to get any sort of job.

Meelo: Tian can do heavy lifting, he's the strongest man i know!

Tenzin: Meelo she doesn't mean it like that, what she means is many of the best jobs that pay well in the city are jobs where you are required to know a form of bending. Firebenders are needed to light furnaces, power electrical generators and the like. Waterbenders are needed near the ports and healing in hospitals. Earthbenders are needed most for construction, literal heavy lifting when they need to move many objects from place to place etc. Most non-benders get paid very little compared to their bender counterparts.

Jinora: That seems unfair, what about all the people who can't bend? What about their families that they need to feed? Why are non-benders being treated so poorly compared to us benders.

Tenzin: *sigh* It's the way it's always been, it's not fair, but it's the reality of this world. Benders get most things done and non-benders usually slow everything down from progress. The world is getting bigger and we are still trying to grow as a species to try and keep up with it.

Y/n: So the strong get to have the most power in the world while those that are weak don't have a say in it?

Tenzin: Tian that's not what i mean

Y/n: *agitated* No i get it, like you said the world is getting bigger and people need to start growing faster or they will be left behind. "Why would you help someone when you could look out for yourself?" That's what most benders are thinking right now, right?