Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I walk to my bedroom to grab some lazy day clothes, and then get a towel. I hope in the shower, and find myself doing nothing but standing there for ten to fifteen minutes thinking about random things. Thinking about this whole… thing. Thinking of how it’s Danny’s fault I missed my project day. How he decided to come and whatever. Then I hallucinated because of him. Then Josh had to calm me. Then he made me sleep, which I wouldn’t have had to do if Danny never came. And then he kidnapped me at my shift.

                I find myself standing longer than I’d promised I’d be, and quickly wash my hair, and then get out. I dry my hair as best I can, and dress, and finish towel drying my hair. I walk back to the couch, and sit next to Josh. His arm immediately wraps around me, and I find myself resting my head on his shoulder.

                “So what’s up?” I ask Josh.

                “The sky,” Josh replies. “Clouds, aliens, and gas prices.”

                I laugh a little bit. “True stuff. True stuff.”

                “What about you? Besides you-know-what.”

                “I don’t know. That’s all that’s really been happening. I guess I could try to paint more though. I’ve been getting less chances.”

                “You can now. I love watching you paint. Even though I only watched you once and it was barely even time.”

                “Really?” I shift my head so that my chin is facing him. Josh gives me a kiss on the forehead, and for a moment I want him to… I don’t know. I just feel like curling up with him under a small and soft blanket, and sleep. I remember the first year I lived here, the people in the building attempted to make the temperature like one in a real house during the winter. Slightly cold, and then we’d have to light the fire place in the lobby. But that never worked. No one came down. Everyone just complained. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind if they did that now. We’d be forced to get a blanket, and then I could sleep again. I don’t know…

                “Yeah. You’re amazing,” Josh snaps me back into reality. “I’d love to watch you paint. Or sing. Or write. Or anything. You’re amazing!”

                I can’t help blushing, and smiling. “Thanks. It means a lot.”

                “It’s the truth.”

                I love Josh. He can’t stop. He’s so sweet. His smile is sweet too. And I can detect a little bit of shyness to it also. I don’t know why, but my smile fades away. Something about being Josh’s girlfriend officially, and people already knowing bugs me a  little bit. I feel like someone punched me in the gut.

                “What’s wrong, Scarlett?” Josh asks.

                “I don’t know,” I reply.

                “Is something with the whole being-the-girlfriend-of-a-famous-actor thing?” It’s like Josh read my mind. That is what it is.

                “Are you, like, psychic? That is kind of what it is.”

                Josh chuckles. “Well I’ll make sure nothing goes wrong. Or I’ll try. Don’t worry about it. I’m just as much a person as you are. We’re all regular people, so act like I’m a regular person, and don’t worry about it.”